• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Testing antenna's against each other - tips.

nav2010

Sep 5, 2010
There are many pitfalls in testing one antenna against another. I have performed several tests over the years comparing various antennae mainly verticals.
Firstly, I am not going to consider factors such as potentials for electrical ground because I don't think they are relevant to these tests, whether you have them or not.
My first point would be your coax, don't use crap coax, get some decent low loss coax which won't be effected as much by any outside influence.
When you do your tests, switch everything off in the house which could possibly effect it such as TV's, central heating or any other electrical interference. We don't want any variations in the operating conditions in and around the house.
Next, set your antenna up in a position where you can get it down and get another one up very quickly such as a wind down mast or a fold down or even a scaffold pole you can place in a socket in the ground and have down in minutes. It is no use at all if it takes you hours to get it down - atmospheric conditions may change so we need to get the antenna up and down in minutes.
There is no guarantee that conditions may change in a few minutes either but it helps to have speed on your side.
Find stations you can rely on 100% all of the time, not just shouting on the breaking channel for a copy. Make arrangements for the tests with them and keep away from busy channels such as breaking channels when you test.
Test over a number of channels and make sure you have a mean average of those several different channels. We all know how frequencies suit one antenna and not another. Test over SSB, FM and AM if you can and give yourself a good varied bandwidth of results.
Test a number of different set ups with choke baluns, isolating the antenna from the mast if you like to see if different antenna's react differently to this.
Don't be tempted to use two different masts, sets of coax etc with both antenna's up at the same time. THIS WILL NOT WORK believe me. All tests must be on the exact same level playing field.
Those are my tips for anyone testing one antenna against another.

iv'e come to the conclusion that the earth ground/dirt and possible structures under the antenna are gonna much have more effect than just the difference measured from the antennas tip top or from its bottom/feed-point .
but im not the sharpest tool in the drawer either ;)
so be nice cutting my neck off if i just stuck it out too far ... again . :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

It doesn't really matter what conditions you have booty as long as you subject both antennae to the same. Same place, same poll, same feed etc and you can't go wrong.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.