• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Testing capasitor

805 california

Jun 29, 2016
San luis obispo, ca
So I got a digital multimeter and everytime I check a new or used uf capsitor it always reads ol on meter. And yes I wait several seconds hoping I will get a reading and it always reads ol. Do I just have a pos craftsman meter? Any help would be appreciated!

So I got a digital multimeter and everytime I check a new or used uf capsitor it always reads ol on meter. And yes I wait several seconds hoping I will get a reading and it always reads ol. Do I just have a pos craftsman meter? Any help would be appreciated!
If it is a very large capacitor it will take some time for it to charge up. Try discharging the cap before you check them.

Last edited:
If it is a very large capacitor it will take some time for it to charge up. Try discharging the cap before you check them.

Yeah I'm just trying to check capacitance with the capacitance setting on the metet. I'm trying to check 30v 220 and 440 uf capacitors and always get ol on the meter. I've tried discharging with no luck :(

Is your meter a small red one? I think I have one of those and I will to see how it works. I'll post on here later about it.

If you've read the owners manual for the meter, you will find that it has a limited range in mfd's that it will be able to test. Most guys use a dedicated cap tester/ESR meter for cap testing.

Thanks, I'm a dumbass. Yea it lists up too 100 uf.
Don't worry about it, as I made the same mistake too. Best to get a ESR meter, which is the best way to test caps. They aren't that expensive and a cheap one can be had on Ebay for less than $20. They can measure the internal resistance of a cap as well as its mfd value - which is more important. They can also read caps up to/beyond 1000mfds too.

Like 399 said... In regards to Electrolytic Capacitors, leakage is another important Test... Have to Test the Capacitor at the Voltage it is intended to operate at, for "Leakage". Capacitors can check "Good" using certain Meters, but in all actuality the Capacitor could be "Bad", as it leaks... Not talking about the Electrolyte Fluid is leaking, but rather Electricity... I have a Fluke 179 Digital Multi-Meter that can Test Capacitance, but I never use that feature... I don't bother to Test Capacitors, but rather just Replace them, as I deal with Vintage Equipment... It is said an Electrolytic Capacitor has a Shelf-Life of 12 Years... That is, if it is sitting on a Shelf, not being used... In usage, the Capacitor's Lifespan would be much less... Capacitors have ESR Ratings which tell you "about" how many Hours the Capacitor should last in use... As one has to remove or disconnect at least 1 Lead of the Capacitor to Test it, you are half-way to just Replacing the Capacitor with a New one, which is the best way to go... Most Electronic Failures are due to Electrolytic Capacitor failure, due to Age... DO NOT buy Capacitors sold as NOS or New Old Stock, as they are just that, OLD... In time, the Electrolyte Fluid within them Dries-Out... Everyone will do as He / She pleases when it comes to their Own Equipment, regardless... Quite often, a Single Failure of Capacitor can trigger multiple failures of Electronic Components in the Circuit... As I Own / Operate Vintage Vacuum Tube Type Equipment, I do not want to risk ruining for example, a somewhat Rare and therefore somewhat expensive Vacuum Tube Failure as a result of an Inexpensive Electrolytic Capacitor... So, it is not worth the Risk to me, to attempt to Operate Vintage Equipment with well-known Problematic Old Age Electrolytic Capacitors...
Here is one of my favorite Articles related to Capacitors... It references Radios and Old TV's, BUT the Components are the same...
http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Last edited:
Like 399 said... In regards to Electrolytic Capacitors, leakage is another important Test... Have to Test the Capacitor at the Voltage it is intended to operate at, for "Leakage". Capacitors can check "Good" using certain Meters, but in all actuality the Capacitor could be "Bad", as it leaks... Not talking about the Electrolyte Fluid is leaking, but rather Electricity... I have a Fluke 179 Digital Multi-Meter that can Test Capacitance, but I never use that feature... I don't bother to Test Capacitors, but rather just Replace them, as I deal with Vintage Equipment... It is said an Electrolytic Capacitor has a Shelf-Life of 12 Years... That is, if it is sitting on a Shelf, not being used... In usage, the Capacitor's Lifespan would be much less... Capacitors have ESR Ratings which tell you "about" how many Hours the Capacitor should last in use... As one has to remove or disconnect at least 1 Lead of the Capacitor to Test it, you are half-way to just Replacing the Capacitor with a New one, which is the best way to go... Most Electronic Failures are due to Electrolytic Capacitor failure, due to Age... DO NOT buy Capacitors sold as NOS or New Old Stock, as they are just that, OLD... In time, the Electrolyte Fluid within them Dries-Out... Everyone will do as He / She pleases when it comes to their Own Equipment, regardless... Quite often, a Single Failure of Capacitor can trigger multiple failures of Electronic Components in the Circuit... As I Own / Operate Vintage Vacuum Tube Type Equipment, I do not want to risk ruining for example, a somewhat Rare and therefore somewhat expensive Vacuum Tube Failure as a result of an Inexpensive Electrolytic Capacitor... So, it is not worth the Risk to me, to attempt to Operate Vintage Equipment with well-known Problematic Old Age Electrolytic Capacitors...
Here is one of my favorite Articles related to Capacitors... It references Radios and Old TV's, BUT the Components are the same...
http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm
Thank you for the info! Definally learned something new from you and the article. Thanks for your input!

Thank you for the info! Definally learned something new from you and the article. Thanks for your input!
You're Welcome... NO Technician here, NOR Do I claim to be... Just a Tinkerer... The Internet is Amazing, as far as Information goes... Without the Internet to Learn from and the Help of Others, I would NEVER have begun to Tinker with Electronics...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.