• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

testing for filter response?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Is there a way you can use a signal generator and an O-Scope to figure out an unknown filter bandwidth and shape in a radio? If so, what's the procedure?

Assuming you have a calibrated generator, and an o'scope which has a perfectly flat response within its specififed bandwidth (or a chart/formula to show/calculate the amount of response change with frequency), all you need to do is inject equal-amplitude signals at regular frequency intervals and meaure the input vs output of the filter, and record your data. You will then be able to build a graph of the filter response. Better yet, use one of those circuit simulator packages such as Circuitmaker or Electronics Workbench. Electronics Workbench even has a filter design wizard which really speeds up design.

yes, just plot P-P voltage vs frequency.

you could also use a detector to get a DC voltage on the scope, then if your scope is a storage scope, and your sweep generator has a volts/freq sweep output (or sweep ramp output), you could use X-Y mode and get the plot right on the scope, then if your scope is PC interfaceable, like with GPIB/parallel, or has print screen, there you go....

For example, most of my sources output a sweep voltage that corresponds to the start frequency of 0V and stop frequency of 10V. It is a ramp voltage that tracks my sweep.

Or, if you have a fancy analyzer with a sweep generator, you could just drive the filter with the generator output...

Or just whip out your vector network analyzer :p

MTE_Anritsu_Vector.jpg

Oh yea, you probably don't have an extra $50K laying around for one of those...In that case, you can, all by yourself, build an N2PK vector network analyzer to measure filter response...amongst a but load of other neato stuff...

Build you one today, build you an N2PK

www.n2pk.com

:naughty :twsted :wow :wav :guitar :welcome :pint :beer :moon :naughty

You gonna like it!

Actually what's kinda funny is that I found that I have a book ("The Complete RF Technician's Handbook") that I just found tells you how to do exactly what I was asking about. I don't have time to post what it says right now, but I'll try to do it tomorrow.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.