• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tetrode amp finish-up

Naysayer

Mar 6, 2020
New York
The new power cord made a significant improvement. I'm painting the home now so things will be harried for awhile. I'm also waiting for a 3 RCA jack strip to provide outputs for the ALC, T-R Relay and Control Grid meter (if I need to see it again). I also added a momentary Transmit button on the front (zsac), replaced the face-plate and addressed cosmetic issues. The Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1KGX amp runs two, 4cx250 and does 500AM/600PEP so it seems this amp is about right. I'll post new pics and more PO numbers after I setup amp at operating location.

I find it frustrating that 500w is the same PO I get from the 4x MRF422 amp. They are both driven to max with <30w. The Tetrodes have noisy fans, are heavier to move around, require more space and require more adjustment and meter watching to operate. Maybe I get more key-down stability, idk. I almost feel like I took a multi-year step backwards. Cost-wise idk, it's close $-wise if the new cost of the Palomar is factored in. I guess it doesn't matter but the size/noise/convenience issues are hard to ignore.

neil, NYC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.