• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

texas star 667 audio amp capacitors and batteries

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
ok well i currently have my texas star 667 in for repair and am going to put it back in my mobile and was wondering if i should just hook run cable to a battery in the back of my vehicle and run it from there. due to the constraints of my vehicles charging system. I am curious about audio amp caps, if i should use them or stay away from them. For a battery would something like an optima red top battery be choice for this situation or does anyone else have an idea for a battery to be used in my trunk that gets charged from the front battery and possibly used with one or a few audio amp caps.
-222-

how many amps is your alternator??
how much cranking amps is your battery?

I would just run it off the main battery with a yellow top run 8 awg wire butt...

you can run a battery in the trunk then run 10 awg to the main battery to keep it charged. you will need to put he battery in a container they sell at auto parts store. you will all to need to provide a venting system in your trunk to let gas from the battery "hydrogen and oxygen" as for type of battery the red tops are JUNK! you want a yellow or blue top...

as for audio caps they will not do any good.. your amp will not be hitting the charging system as hard as an audio system will. in an audio system it is subjected to large spikes in amps draw and has a recovery time in an RF amp you don't get that recovery time. it may work to some extent but it would be a waste..

as for audio caps they will not do any good.. your amp will not be hitting the charging system as hard as an audio system will. in an audio system it is subjected to large spikes in amps draw and has a recovery time in an RF amp you don't get that recovery time. it may work to some extent but it would be a waste..

On straight AM they are a waste of time...but SSB is another story. I doubt it helps the amplifier, but it'll make the charging system a little happier.

I have a 90amp alt and a 750CCA battery in front. I guess ill be staying away from the audio amp caps. i just wish there was a way to make a remote for the 667 but according to another forum member the TS has rf running through the power switches??? so thats not an option...

I think your best bet is one of the options below.

1) Upgrade your alternator.
2) Get a motor maul for the trunk.
3) Get a smaller amplifier for your vehicle.
4) Swap your current battery for a yellow top optima and run the 667 with #6 or #4 wire direct to the battery.

is it ok that i run 8 gauge to the back and then ground the extra battery in the trunk right to the body?

Yes you only need to run the + wires long the - wired need to be as short as you can make them... The smaller gauge the better

The smaller gauge the better? Im not arguing, but rather curious. I always thought the bigger gauge the better.

It is better if you are drawing the current thru the wire. In this case most of the current comes directly from the battery and the battery is being charged all the time even when you are not transmitting. I would still use a minimum of 10 ga. and preferably 8 ga. if it were me but then again that is just me.

The smaller the gauge number, the bigger the wire is physically. For a long run with a 667 at the end, I'd personally run #4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.