• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

texas star 667

Straight from the texas star site and I'm sure 5 watts (RMS) would equate to 15-20 watts pep.

I used to run a dx500v with 7 watts carrier input and 45 watts pep with no fan and it stood the test of mack, I mean time.
CW Transmitters (Models DX 400, DX 400V, DX 500, DX 500V, DX 667 and DX 667V)

These transmitters are designed for mobile or base CW operation. Powered by the 12 volt vehicle battery or 12 volt regulated power supply, the maximum power output is less than 5 watts RMS. Frequency of operation is within the 10 meter band, determined by installation of a crystal into the oscillator board. The transmitters contain a transmit/receive relay and an output connector for the receiver to share the antenna and permit break-in operation.
yea the 500 is a stright 4pill amp.no driver your radio is the driver
the 667 has a built in driver 1x4 so gotta be more carefull with this one or
any amp thats 1driving4 or 1x4.it may handle the input ya want but dont be
surprised if people tell ya you sound like your overdriving it.just dont like hearing
bad stuff about great equiment.this amp is by far the best amp for a low power radio

yea the 500 is a stright 4pill amp.no driver your radio is the driver
the 667 has a built in driver 1x4 so gotta be more carefull with this one or
any amp thats 1driving4 or 1x4.it may handle the input ya want but dont be
surprised if people tell ya you sound like your overdriving it.just dont like hearing
bad stuff about great equiment.this amp is by far the best amp for a low power radio

The 2290 driver will handle 6 watts input no problem and the pep is'nt really a factor and if you knew anything about the ts500v you would know that the way the input transformers are wound it is configured to take a lower input and still have some impressive output carrier numbers.

In case you're wondering about the output of the ts500v the way I worked it, 7 watts input from radio produced 175 watts carrier from the amp and the 45 watts pep from the radio produced 750 watts pep from the amp.

You will see basically the same numbers from the ts667 driver by the galaxy 99v.

that's surely not the first time I heard that about the 500 TS , just a few alterations and it will do everything the 667 will , changing the pos and neg wires to a bigger size and losing the blade fuse to a regular type glass fuse should show you more on a TS 500 alone. These driver configed amps can be alot of over kill for what they are , IM not saying they won't work , IM just saying over kill , especially a 2 x 4 config )-: There was a lot of good write ups on this issue in the archives , but the Forum has changed to were that amp section is no longer present in the cb radio Forum section.

the pos and neg wires to a bigger size and losing the blade fuse to a regular type glass fuse should show you more on a TS 500 alone.

By pass the fuses, and fuse at the battery, the dual fuse holders in the 500/500V is not up to the job of feeding it...or the 667 for that matter.

Jeff

Roger!

Mack:

Lived a man named Doc Milsap and his pretty wife Hanna
They raised up a son who could eat up his weight in groceries,
Named him after a man of the cloth,
Called him Amos Moses

(y)

Jeff

The 2290 driver will handle 6 watts input no problem and the pep is'nt really a factor and if you knew anything about the ts500v you would know that the way the input transformers are wound it is configured to take a lower input and still have some impressive output carrier numbers.

In case you're wondering about the output of the ts500v the way I worked it, 7 watts input from radio produced 175 watts carrier from the amp and the 45 watts pep from the radio produced 750 watts pep from the amp.

You will see basically the same numbers from the ts667 driver by the galaxy 99v.

1st of all i was only giving my opinion
2nd i never said i know the way its configured.you did
3rd i dont see how a 30 watt radio will drive a ts500 to peak.my opinion

as long as were talking about modifications on texas stars . i have a 500v . if i wanted to upgrade the power wire is 8 gauge enough ? and also bypass the fusing system in it and use my external fuse block ? what size single fuse should the two 35 amp fuses be replaced with ?

if i wanted to upgrade the variable on the amp where could i get a 250 ohm 5 volt or higher pot fairly cheap ?

Thanks for that bit of old Jerry Reed - 74IN.
I still remember the day when folks around here would use that song and throw it as a musical carrier. It was used to kick off the late afternoon crowd as they got off of work and everybody keyed up. Straightened out the band and got it organized. What can I say; it worked.
".....About forty-five minutes south east of Tippeetoe Louisiana.."

as long as were talking about modifications on texas stars . i have a 500v . if i wanted to upgrade the power wire is 8 gauge enough ? and also bypass the fusing system in it and use my external fuse block ? what size single fuse should the two 35 amp fuses be replaced with ?

if i wanted to upgrade the variable on the amp where could i get a 250 ohm 5 volt or higher pot fairly cheap ?

Stock variable is a 2 watt. Mouser has the exact ones here:

potentiometer

You can get a wirewound rheostat that is rated at higher wattage cheaper at:

Fair Radio Sales Company, Inc. - Catalog

The 200 ohm one should work out fine.

BC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.