• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star dx400v

Klint

Mar 13, 2019
Got one coming in the mail.... looking forward to putting it in place of my tiger 200. Going to run #6 gauge wire to it . Do y’all think I ought to put a chassis ground on the frame of it ? Also would like to know y’all thoughts on where I should run it as far as (low, medium ,high ) most of the time for good talking and longevity of the equipment. Been hearing mixed opinions on using the variable knob and where it needs to sit also. Thanks in advance

Just don't overdrive it. What radio will you be running with it? I don't think they have made these for quite some time now, I assume it's used?

Yes it is... I’ll be driving it with a stock cobra 29 classic with vr4 turned up

You should be good with about 3-4 watts into it. I run my Texas Star dx350 with about 2 watts into it.

You can use 6 gauge cable, but there is not any advantage to it at all.
8 gauge will give more capability to the amplifier than it will ever use or need.
Just wondering, hopefully you can answer this for me. What kind of amp draw would that Dx400 have? Somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 amps?

Reactions: Mudfoot
Personally I plan on running 8 ga welding cable (55 amps max) when I finally get around to installing my dx350. I want to make sure that it will be able to draw as much as it needs & not burn power wires. I also have a longer (20'+) run than I'd like for the power wires, so I'm taking that into consideration. Replacing fuses is one thing, having to run new wire because I didn't run something heavy enough the 1st time is another. Better safe than sorry imho.
Klint, check out what length of wire you're going to be needing, then check out some of the online amp/length/gauge charts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.