• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star dx500v

ive been toying with the idea of trading my 500v for a tube base amp , but im not %100 sold on the idea yet . ive got a audioauthority 2/77 power supply i use on it at home . ive thought about making a post on it in the for sale section , but i dont want something with sweep tubes and id want it to be 2 meter capable . IF..... if i do get a ham ticket 2 meter seems to be the most affordable (cheapest) equipment new or used to get on the air with .
PM me if you have something you might be interested in trading for it .

Radioman , you might give Ebay a look see , I saw one in mint condition a while back that was 220.00 shipped. That's a good price for that fine box. Surprised to see you willing to part with yours Booty ? Hmmmm ....Tubes huh ? What the hell !! it's just a hobby. :)

im not %100 sold on the idea yet switch . i really do like the instant on and not having to tune anything that comes with solid state amps . but at the same time decent tube amps are cleaner ..... and allow tube bragging rights , LOL . i doubt tubes will sound cleaner in cb/11 meters considering the fidelity of most cb radios/speakers . but .... if i actualy get off my fat azz and get a ticket ............ ;) .
it would depend on the amp , who has it and how far away it is .

radio man you might want to consider these messengers too .
http://www.worldwidedx.com/forum-swapshop/35270-ok-guys-take-look.html
the

Booty - you won't find an HF amp that is also capable of 2 meters - they're two different animals.

You'll probably also find that you don't need an amp on 2 meters, unless you really want to try to do some crazy long distance 2 meter work.

Booty - you won't find an HF amp that is also capable of 2 meters - they're two different animals.

You'll probably also find that you don't need an amp on 2 meters, unless you really want to try to do some crazy long distance 2 meter work.

So few people run any real power on 2m, you'll basically have people well out of your range of hearing trying to get back to you.

Even running 50W with a beam, you can have that same effect...talking farther than most can get back to you.

Talking local or tropo of course. EME is a whole other animal.

A local guy runs a Lunar Link on 2m simplex and has maybe three other guys in the tri-state area that can hold a conversation with him at equal distances.

i think building such small antennas would be a lot of fun and soooooooo much easier !!!

this is pretty cool .
Fan-tenna
now if i could find a 18 foot diameter fan grill for my CB 1/4wgp ........... hahahahaha

tube amps remind me of my teen CB days :) .

That amp may not work on 2 meter, but it will surely work on 10 meter.
So when you become a Ham and use 10 meters, you will be ready to go BootyMon!
The Texas Star DX-500V has got a lot going for it, especially if you keep the power supply voltage at 13v - and check it to see that it isn't throwing out -or being fed- unwanted harmonics.

The nice thing about being a Ham is that you can run power w/o having to look over your shoulder.
Keep it running clean.

"The nice thing about being a Ham is that you can run power w/o having to look over your shoulder. "

dont different ham classes allow different power limits or different bands have different power limits ?
i know a hammy ticket still wont allow more than 4/12 watts on 11 meters .

"The nice thing about being a Ham is that you can run power w/o having to look over your shoulder. "

dont different ham classes allow different power limits or different bands have different power limits ?
i know a hammy ticket still wont allow more than 4/12 watts on 11 meters .

Yes; there are power restrictions on different bands - correct.
And you're right about the 4/12 watts on 11 meters/CB - even Hams have to keep that rule as well.
But on 10 meters, if you are a ham you can run up to 1,500 watts to make a contact. The rules also make it clear that you are using the necessary power to make the contact. SO - your Texas Star CAN be used on 10 meters - which only requires a Tech license to hold - provided it is on SSB and within the bandwidth provided for the Tech class. It is 1,500 watts unless otherwise specified - so long as there is 'spectral purity' (a 'clean signal')...
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/Hambands_color.pdf

Last edited:
SO - your Texas Star CAN be used on 10 meters - which only requires a Tech license to hold - provided it is on SSB and within the bandwidth provided for the Tech class. It is 1,500 watts unless otherwise specified - so long as there is 'spectral purity' (a 'clean signal')...

Which it doesn't have...you are a slow learner.

It would not in any way produce a legally clean signal in SSB mode unless highly modified.

This forum is about giving people the right advice, not justifying illegal activity under a cloud of misinformation.

Why do you keep propagating the myths of inappropriate equipment? Over and over again, even on this exact topic.

Also, it isn't a joke re: the power you need to make the contact. Running power just for the heck of it is lid behavior and is yet another trait associated with your beloved CB by those nasty hams you despise so much.

If you want hams to somehow see CB in a different light, why not prove them wrong? Or why not just stick to CB?

It would not in any way produce a legally clean signal in SSB mode unless highly modified.

This forum is about giving people the right advice, not justifying illegal activity under a cloud of misinformation.

Why do you keep propagating the myths of inappropriate equipment? Over and over again, even on this exact topic.

Also, it isn't a joke re: the power you need to make the contact. Running power just for the heck of it is lid behavior and is yet another trait associated with your beloved CB by those nasty hams you despise so much.

If you want hams to somehow see CB in a different light, why not prove them wrong? Or why not just stick to CB?
I dont despise Hams. That is YOUR mistake.
Inappropriate advice? Not really. Power can be used on 10 meters - that is correct. Does it need spectral purity? Yes - and I said so. Does a Texas Star throw off nasty harmonics - or is it amplifying what is being fed into it. That is the point I referred to.

What I AM down on, are Hams that look upon CB users as illegitimate children. That would be you at the moment - for going out of your way to diss me - and not helping the point along. You are only trying to help yourself along and make a issue where ther wasn't one before.

Hams -like yourself- need a derogatory, demeaning, and disrespectful term to classify those people that are new and need instruction. So as to be a phoney 'elitist'. Instead of reaching out and training them, you toss the baby out with the bath water. Furthermore, it is a Ham's RESPONSIBILITY to Elmer those who don't know. If Ham radio is failing, it is because you have attached yourself to those 'powers on high' elistists that look down on the rest. Chances are - that you were once a CBer yourself at one time - as many Hams once were.

I find it hypocritical that Hams take the stance and deny that is so. Just because, they cannot be associated with the lowly CBers. BootyMonster is considering getting a ticket. The difference between what I said and what you said, is that I am willing to help him along. All you did was criticize and display that same hypocritical behavior that is so disgusting and perpetuates the myth.

Get over yourself...
:blink:

BTW- besides this web site, I've had absolutely NO HELP from ANY Hams. SO, I wouldn't say that I am a slow learner, I've just had to do it all on my own. And have done quite well, despite some irresponsible Hams and their qrz mouth. I am willing to help those who want to become a Ham, as it is my responsibiltiy as a Ham to do so. Put up - or shut up...

Last edited:

Were you born with that sharp tounge or was it aquired with your license?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.