• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star Mod-v

If memory serves the TS modulators were a fairly low-drive device. I may be wrong but I think hitting them with anything more than 10 watts is asking for trouble.

Since you have a sweet 16 it would probably make a good driver for it... really give you a lot of swing.

That little amp is made so you can set the variable in such a way that it will dead key about the same as your radio, then when you modulate they swing like crazy ( only on AM mode) up to the output of the 2290 transistor in them.
This is why they are called a modulator.
They really are only good for AM, they sound really crappy on SSB, and they look really good making the watt meter swing all over the place.
I know we played around with them for a while back when i first got started in radio.
Texas star says that 4 watts in will net 75 out.
They also say that 20 watts peak will give you 100 ( peak ) out, but if you run it that hard the first thing to burn up will be the variable resistor that controls the dead key.
I would not run more than a single final radio into one, and not let the radio swing more than around 10/12 watts into it with audio.....IMHO

Jeff

Keep the input dead key at 1 to 1.5 watts. Anything more then 2.5 watts will start to burn up the variable pot and cause the amp to run hot. By the way, if you dead key 10 watts into it as stated above you will blow the crap out of it real quick.

Keep the input dead key at 1 to 1.5 watts. Anything more then 2.5 watts will start to burn up the variable pot and cause the amp to run hot. By the way, if you dead key 10 watts into it as stated above you will blow the crap out of it real quick.

How many watts can the radio swing into the mod v?

I am proud to say that I owned the first generation of Texas Star 1 pill drivers....the Modulator Grande. Not externally variable and had a mrf455 in it. Drove the crap out of a Hurricane 350 for 10 years with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.