• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Texas Tornado High gain wire Antenna

Interesting how long the wires are. I guess it's the angle of the V that makes this work without cancelation from having the radiator too long? I might have to play around with this.

The type of antenna is called a "traveling wave" antenna. This should give a hint as to how the antenna works...

If you go forward in this project, maybe you can get Steve to give you a clue to his wide band balun idea.

There is nothing special here. The balun mentioned in the article is limited to a narrow bandwidth based on how long the 1/4 wavelength coax used was. The further in frequency you get from that 1/4 wavelength length the further away from 4:1 you will be, hence narrow banded. However, baluns made from ferrites can cover the entire HF spectrum and more, hence a much wider bandwidth.

The DB

well if anybody has an idea on what is needed for a balun I am all ears. I have not made one before, but am a master electrician by trade , and understand the concept and no problem getting one built for sure.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.