• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

text select is not consistent

Marconi

Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
I was making a post in the antenna section, and I tried to select some text to move or delete, and I could not get the mouse to select the text. It was like my mouse was not working.

Sometimes the blinking cursor disappears from the screen in the text body of the post screen and I don't know where it is. If I hit a key I never know where it went...until I go to check the post and find miss placed characters
at random places on the screen often at the very top of my post.

The keying also lags behind the screen display sometimes and I get ahead in typing and it gets confusing.

Sometimes I place the mouse at a point to add some text or correct a misspelled word, but when I start to type I find the action taking place at the very top of the screen.

The screens are also jumping and flashing on my monitor and sometimes trying to control the screen is difficult to impossible to move up, down, and sideways.

Is it possible to make the very faint lines that delineate objects on our screen to be a bit darker?

I have the suspension that when someone else is posting in the same thread some of their actions are affecting my work. It is subtle, but is that possible?

Eddie -

To a lesser extent, I have had the same difficulties you describe. I've tried to keep an open mind, be supportive of the "new and improved" look of the forum, and give the admins a chance to cure the "hiccups." But the real changes that are needed are never coming. IMHO, adding the right hand sidebar was a HUGE mistake. I made it necessary to compress the main topics page to 2/3 of its previous width making it much more difficult to read. Then, placing two topics side-by-side only compounded the problem. The old site was easy to navigate and read. It was one of the best forum layouts on the net. The new layout is cluttered, difficult to read., and ... there are so many annoying little problems ( like not being able to scroll to the bottom of the sidebar until you've scrolled to the bottom of the topic section.) It's a shame to see what was once the best forum of its type take such a giant step backwards.

Reactions: Marconi
399, estoy de acuerdo mi amigo.

I think the chat section should be under a button like the rest, and if you want it to show just click the button and give us back the space.

I was making a post in the antenna section, and I tried to select some text to move or delete, and I could not get the mouse to select the text. It was like my mouse was not working.

Sometimes the blinking cursor disappears from the screen in the text body of the post screen and I don't know where it is. If I hit a key I never know where it went...until I go to check the post and find miss placed characters
at random places on the screen often at the very top of my post.

Sometimes I place the mouse at a point to add some text or correct a misspelled word, but when I start to type I find the action taking place at the very top of the screen.

The screens are also jumping and flashing on my monitor and sometimes trying to control the screen is difficult to impossible to move up, down, and sideways.

Marconi, I don't know what to tell you about this. Nobody else has reported anything like this and I can't replicate it. Most of the things you're reporting here sound like client side issues (your PC). For example, the clicking and selecting text is a function of your mouse / browser / PC - there's not anything the site is doing to prevent or allow you to do that. Your cursor location is controlled by your keyboard and mouse, not by the site code, so a condition where it moves around to other locations in the text box while typing can't possibly be caused by the site code.

The keying also lags behind the screen display sometimes and I get ahead in typing and it gets confusing.

Again, I can't replicate this and noone else has reported the issue. Are you sure you don't have some type of rogue toolbar or add-in installed on your browser, or some type of malware?

Is it possible to make the very faint lines that delineate objects on our screen to be a bit darker?

Unfortunately no, and they're really not that faint, IMO.

I have the suspension that when someone else is posting in the same thread some of their actions are affecting my work. It is subtle, but is that possible?

No. That's technically impossible. I mean really - it's impossible for any programmer to code any web application to do what you're describing.

IMHO, adding the right hand sidebar was a HUGE mistake. I made it necessary to compress the main topics page to 2/3 of its previous width making it much more difficult to read. Then, placing two topics side-by-side only compounded the problem.

Do you have a small monitor or one with a 4:3 aspect ratio? That might explain the design issue. The layout with the sidebar on the right is consistent with the styling of many of the major site designs - cnn, nbcnews, espn, si, i could go on and on. Do you have the same issue on those sites? With the standard 16:9 aspect ratio on all of my PCs, I can widen any browser wide enough that it displays just as much post content as the old site if I want to.

I still don't really understand the problem that a few people are having with the forum sections in a two column format. The information displayed on the main forum listing is minimal, and always has been: the name of the forum, the description, and a link to the last post. How much room is necessary to display that information? I guess what you're saying is that you would rather endlessly scroll to see if what is on the site vs. be able to quickly see the forum sections? BTW, the actual forum posting and listings are the same as always, one on top of the other.

there are so many annoying little problems ( like not being able to scroll to the bottom of the sidebar until you've scrolled to the bottom of the topic section.)

That is actually a choice that I can turn on or off. It's called a "sticky sidebar" - the idea is that if you have something that people find useful like a chat box, you keep it in view as long as possible while scrolling and only move it off the screen when you you absolutely have to. It's a newer, advanced design technique that sites are starting to use more and more.

399, estoy de acuerdo mi amigo.

I think the chat section should be under a button like the rest, and if you want it to show just click the button and give us back the space.

What space would you be getting back? The sidebar isn't going away if the chat is gone...

What space would you be getting back? The sidebar isn't going away if the chat is gone...

Moleculo, I was just talking...I have no idea how the stuff works. I have already posted that I solved virtually all of my problems I was having using IE. I replaced it with FireFox and I'm all good to go...thanks to both you and Captain Kilowatt.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.