• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

text vs morse code

They figured the speed was 29 WPM. After getting your General license and spending a couple years or so using CW, your speed will be up approaching that.

I went from 5 WPM (as a 1950s Novice) to 13 WPM for my Conditional ticket in less than 4 months. How? Easy. Novices had portions of 80, 40 and 15 meters, for CW ONLY. The only Novice voice privileges were on 2 meters, and I didn't have access to any VHF gear.

My first day of Navy Radioman School in '63, I aced 25 WPM copying with a pencil, but that didn't count because you had to use a typewriter, and I couldn't type that fast! Bit of practice, though, and I made it!

And if I can, anyone can!

The fact that I don't need to learn code for my current privileges has me wanting to learn it just out of interest. The pressure of learning it is off, so it may come easier

Although code is seldom used in ham radio, I still think people should learn it just for interest sake.

PS: I remember a few years ago I tried code with my father (a long time ham operator), and I really didn't find it that hard, but unfortunately I dropped it and never bothered with ham radio until recently.

cheers

Joe

I'd bet money that I can send a text / email message on my Verizon smartphone faster than 29wpm. It has a slide out keyboard :)

Joe - what gives you the idea that "...code is seldom used in ham radio..."?? I use it just about every day and there's never a lack of contacts, both stateside and DX. Just have to pick the right band at the particular time.

Ten meters was good today - ran a string of JAs for about half an hour, using both International Morse and the Japanese version also. Takes me a while longer with that one, but my speed is improving as my Japanese vocabulary improves!

Code has been used by hams for decades, and it will be for decades longer.

Beetle said:
Joe - what gives you the idea that "...code is seldom used in ham radio..."?? I use it just about every day and there's never a lack of contacts, both stateside and DX. Just have to pick the right band at the particular time.

Ten meters was good today - ran a string of JAs for about half an hour, using both International Morse and the Japanese version also. Takes me a while longer with that one, but my speed is improving as my Japanese vocabulary improves!

Code has been used by hams for decades, and it will be for decades longer.

Well I meant that its not used nearly as much as it was say 10 to 20 years ago.

I downloaded a software that teaches code, I think I'll give it a try. My Fathers friend has a practice key I think I'll get it off of him.

We still have certificates for code up here, RAC still gives them out, it would be neet to get at least a 15 wpm certificate

cheers

Joe

Joe - try listening on the low end of 20 and 40 right now and into the night. The CQ WW WPX contest (CW portion) is in full swing this weekend.

The ARRL used to issue certificates for up to 35 WPM. I got one of those in 1961 when I was still in high school, and a couple years later I got a certificate for 45 WPM from the Navy. I won the AIRPAC code competition a couple of times, and even though I was a Radioman, I won a few flashing light competitions against the Signalmen. Never did get quite good enough on semaphore and flaghoist, though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.