• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TH-D72A GPS Question

wa2chj

Feb 28, 2011
Has anyone else noticed that, when the GPS is running and has a postion fix, if you transmit on any frequency you get the iIzZ display during transmit like the GPS is in power save mode? Then when you stop transmitting, the GPS goes back to the iGPS flashing display and you get the GPS position fix tones. That's kind of annoying. I know I could turn off the tones, but I don't want to lose the initial GPS aquisition tones.
I can't find any documentation of this behaviour anywhere in any of the three manuals. Just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the way mine is functioning.

Has anyone else noticed that, when the GPS is running and has a postion fix, if you transmit on any frequency you get the iIzZ display during transmit like the GPS is in power save mode? Then when you stop transmitting, the GPS goes back to the iGPS flashing display and you get the GPS position fix tones. That's kind of annoying. I know I could turn off the tones, but I don't want to lose the initial GPS aquisition tones.
I can't find any documentation of this behaviour anywhere in any of the three manuals. Just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the way mine is functioning.

I have the TH-D72 but have no audible tones when GPS has a position fix.

Can you tell me where I can turn those tones on and I will give this a test also.

Cheers,

Gerard
VK2JNG

I have the TH-D72 but have no audible tones when GPS has a position fix.

Can you tell me where I can turn those tones on and I will give this a test also.

Go into setup, choose the AUDIO menu. Hit the right arrow button and then use the top dial to scroll through the menus until you get the KEY BEEP menu. Hit the right arrow button, then use the top dial to scroll through the options. Choose either "RADIO & GPS" option or "RADIO Only" and then hit Esc to back out of the menus. The radio will now have an audible tone when it gets a GPS lock.

To answer the OP's question: Yes, my radio exhibits the same behavior. I never had a reason to to turn on the GPS beep so I never noticed it before.

GPS Question

Thanks, Moleculo! This behaviour seems somewhat strange, but I guess it was designed that way. It must need to shut down the GPS receiver during transmit either for power management issues or to avoid some type of interference. Appreciate you checking it out for me.

WA2CHJ

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.