• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The 102 whip

Cody Dixson

May 3, 2020
I currently have a 102 steel whip mounted on pole cut to resonance with 4 ground radials all 102 long at a 45⁰angle base of the whip is about 25ft off the ground. Wondering if anyone has any better 102 whip antenna configuration for 11 meter.

But if not my main question is. can you run cophased whips? Is it worth it?

Also has anyone ever made a directional vertical beam from whips i saw a diagram where they stage the antennas 1/4 wave apart and delay one if them by 1/4 of a cycle creating a null on one side and a coincidence on the other. My thought was using a 102 to be the front of the beam and delayed antenna and a 108 for the back antenna. What would it take to make this work? I think ive got the idea right but my execution needs refined. If someone has modeling software dont be shy show off please lol curious to see if it creates goods gains for 11m

Reactions: secret squirrel

Co phased whips are worth it. I had a setup on my Dodge carryall and at night on a hill top I could talk 150 to 200 miles on SSB with no power amps needed. One night I was talking to a base station 175 miles away and one of his local buddies asked who was he talking to. He said I'm talking to a guy called Tallman in his mobile he told him where to aim his beam and he could barely hear me. His coax was old and leaky.

ON8IM_Christman.jpg

https://www.classicinternational.eu/_clientfiles/info_extra/hygainphasedverticals.pdf

This is pretty cool @BJ radionut so does this show an antenna with two ways of txrx such as a single omnidirectional and then switching to a delay to make the beam? Or array?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.