• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

the antenna gods seem to hate me... 10m/20m, Inverted V, fan dipole will not work

It would appear that the antenna gods have had their fun with you and are now taking pity on you by letting things fall into place. (y)

just in time for the real bad WX tonite,........ good luck

we are under a tornado watch here in SW TN until tomorrow

It would appear that the antenna gods have had their fun with you and are now taking pity on you by letting things fall into place. (y)

Not so fast... still can no get 10m to tune... in fact it does not show less than a 2.75:1 swr (closer to 3.9:1 or 3.5:1 in most places) I checked it everywhere from 25Mhz through 30mMhz... Nothing so I am thinking maybe it's too much of a V/downward slope on the 10m element?

The green line is the 40m, it broadsides north and south, it is nearly flat topped

the yellow lines are the 10m legs, they are broadside east and west

The 10m legs also follow the roof line,if you look closely you can see a line of metal flashing following the roof line, it is 2" x 2" x the length of the roof. The 10m legs are parallel to the flasing...

The red legs are the 20m legs, they broadside to the Southeast, and to the Northwest

The purple circle shows a point where the 10m leg makes contact with the mast... BUT the wire is insulated

the large mass to the right of the mast is a balun, aprox. 20 or so feet of mini8 wrapped around a 4" form

IDEAS?

IMG_20130410_142810AAAA_zps69800267.jpg

What are the chances of you making the angle between the legs greater for the 20 and 10 meter dipoles (flatter)? Also, insulated or not, get the wire off of the mast.
- 'Doc

however... the (Maco v 5/8) 10m groundplane above the fan dipole now has a very broad match under 2.0:1 from CB channel 1 on up to about 28.7Mhz.... so they are doing something to each other

Is it just that the Maco v 5/8 is seeing the fan dipole as a ground plane of sorts?

Oh, I'm sure the Maco is seeing the dipole as an elevated ground plane. It would be interesting to see some analyzer info off the Maco from before then after, although that sounds like it might not be doable with the AM broadcast interference issues you've been having.

Was just scanning through 15m and heard a nice 9++ station so I decided to say hello when I got the chance, he was in Maine and he said I was 5x8, not bad considering, I really need a tuner for 15m though(running of the 40m leg)

well moved it and now it's working good, need to do a little work on the 40m leg (the west one) but everything is looking good so far... more importantly 10m WORKS with a 1.4 SWR at about 28.7mhz

the other 2 bands show a solid 1.0-1.2 15 however will still need a tuner... I am going to try widening the V on the 10m band, and the 40m band needs a little work, but the 20m actually got a little bit better.

Thanks to all that offered help

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.