• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The best mods for a grant to talk on ssb clearly.

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
I have heard a few here say that the Uniden grants are one of the best radios for ssb.What mods should be done for the radio to have a good clear sound on ssb.I have talked ssb using mine but the reports are not kind of things i want to hear.I just want one radio setup to talk ssb only,i have other radios for am.

I have owned a couple of these radios in the past. They are very good on SSb as long as they are tuned and aligned correctly.. They are also one of the best I have owned for filtering as long as the radio is tuned right.. I am sure you will enjoy the grant well.

King Mudduck said:
I have heard a few here say that the Uniden grants are one of the best radios for ssb.What mods should be done for the radio to have a good clear sound on ssb.I have talked ssb using mine but the reports are not kind of things i want to hear.I just want one radio setup to talk ssb only,i have other radios for am.

Sometimes it's as simple as buying a different microphone. Everyone has different tones to their voice and that's where an after market microphone comes in. For example, the Astatic D104M hand microphone is more crisp, giving your audio a sharper pitch (as opposed to more bass). A Turner Plus 3 hand microphone is just the opposite. And some microphones have a tone control.

If you get the right combination of radio/microphone/voice, you'll sound pretty decent (IMHO)

What model Grant is this ? President / Uniden / XL / LT ? ....As far as the XL's or LT's (pretty much the same radio) and as far as alighnments would go depending on whom may have had there hands in it ? Those two are pretty darn nice right out of there boxes ,experiance tells that a very little tune up or tune down on those is all that is really needed for those radios to perform well. I'd pretty much go on what Stoner guy said as far as the audio goes and different mic's used . I've found that the Astatic 575M 6's (no longer made) always worked well for me on both AM/SSB on the XL's/LT's ......I doubt that it would cost you very much to have a certified radio man bench it for you and make sure everything was up to par all the same. Good Luck

There you have it, properly tuned and aligned and put on frequency and you should be ready to rumble. Some people like to have the clarifier opened up but if your on the money with your transmit then it's really not necessary.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.