• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

the big punch

rfoverlord

guardian of freedom
Jun 1, 2005
daegaba system
is / has anyone tried the big punch speech compressor from w4rt it was originally made for yaesu mics but can be used on other mics and i was wondering if anyone had tried it?
I was also wondering if anyone has tried out the dynamic speech processor. does it acually live up to it's claims? trying to get away from amplifying all the backround noise, but keep the voice level constant.

i have built several diferent types of speech processor and by far the best was a rf clipper, the design was in radcom and used murata filters, the others were either based on tlo84 opamps or discrete components and some using vogad chips, i used to build the practical wireless design but i opened up the filter bandwidth as they sounded crap when built to the original design, i prefere rf based clippers as they seem to give a much cleaner sound for a given ammount of compression, the old kenpro unit i gave my buddy works pretty good with a decent sound, he uses a sennheiser mic through the kenpro on an old yaesu ft7 and it blows the ts2000 with heil studiopro mic into the weeds for audio quality with no alc pumping sound regardless of how the ts2000 software is set, but my favourite is my datong asp, i use a shure sm58 or cannon classic vocal mic through it and it easilly beats every internal audio based or rf compressor i have had on the hf sets i owned past or present but they do need to be aligned correctly inside for the right clipping level and frequency response, even from the factory it was just good luck if you got one just right out of the box.

thanks bob for the response. sorry i took so long to respond, got a promotion at work and iv'e been in training but it's all good getting paid to shoot all day, only the outdoor tac courses really suck hear during the wonderful snow storm we are currently getting.
i was looking for something for my 2510, i have pwr mic but i don't really care for the increased backround noise when using it. i would prefer to make it myself but a commercial unit would be okay if it was worth it. 73

there was a good compact circuit for a rf based speech processor in radcom years back, i built one from mainly cb parts and it worked very well compared to any of the audio based compressors i have used or built, all i can remember is it used a 455khz if frequency and murata flters from a uniden radio, if you want it to limit background noise then carefull choice of attack and decay timing is needed, too fast a decay and the gain ramps up between words bringing in the background noises which is what the vogad chip based processor i built did, it would ramp up to 50db of gain between words

processors \ backround

You might look at w2ihy technologies 8 band graphic EQ and noise gate, I was looking for processors also and came across w2ihy site and saw the 8 band graphic EQ , this thing works better than a processor because you can boost up 8 individual frequency ranges for some super custom audio, they also offer a two band EQ Plus with compressor and downward expander The 8 band EQ with a hiel gold line mic is an excellent combo. I highly recomend these products and I get more full range and punch than any astatic product I've ever used. Mfj also makes some eq compressors but I've not had any experience with them,,, Mfj-655 654 652 651 the mfj 655 has 8 band eq with processor and noise gate with an input vu meter alot of features for 199.95 ... might be worth checking out some of these that I've listed ,I know for sure that the w2ihy technololigies is good stuff . no feed back at 10 bushels!!!! Good luck Steve A-1 antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.