• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

the difference between

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but most commonly is length. Antennas are tuned to the freq range of the radio, and this determines the length, both in phyical length and coil length. I'm sure some other will offer a more detailed and lengthy explanation.

I was discussing this with my father a long time ham operator and he could not give me an answer

Since you can get a CB antenna with a large coil and whip, I could not understand why one could not use a CB antenna for a ham

I thought for sure the Wilson 5000 could do it. I mean a coil is a coil, not much is happening in a coil

A coil on a mobile Ham antenna looks identical to a CB coil

Joe said:
I was discussing this with my father a long time ham operator and he could not give me an answer

Since you can get a CB antenna with a large coil and whip, I could not understand why one could not use a CB antenna for a ham

I thought for sure the Wilson 5000 could do it. I mean a coil is a coil, not much is happening in a coil

A coil on a mobile Ham antenna looks identical to a CB coil

Hey Joe,

Those electrons running thru that coax and jumping off into space cannot tell the difference between a "HAM" signal and a "CB" signal.

IF you are wanting to use a Wilson base-loaded antenna on 10 meters, yes you can do that; you will have to shorten the stinger 1/4 inch at a time until your match comes in.

You cannot (without elaborate matching devices inbetween) use a commercial built "HAM" antenna (80, 40, 20 and 15, 6, or 2 meter) on CB.

You can (with a elaborate matching device) build a loop or Di-pole or long-wire antenna that you can use on all bands including CB.

Hey Joe,

Those electrons running thru that coax and jumping off into space cannot tell the difference between a "HAM" signal and a "CB" signal.

IF you are wanting to use a Wilson base-loaded antenna on 10 meters, yes you can do that; you will have to shorten the stinger 1/4 inch at a time until your match comes in.

You cannot (without elaborate matching devices inbetween) use a commercial built "HAM" antenna (80, 40, 20 and 15, 6, or 2 meter) on CB.

You can (with a elaborate matching device) build a loop or Di-pole or long-wire antenna that you can use on all bands including CB.

Great answer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.