• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The F.C.C. in my area!!

I have recently moved and have not yet installed my base antenna but I get on my mobile mostly in the drive way and see what the other guys have been doing and this was what I heard. Thee FCC has been to at least 5 homes here and has entered their homes and were questioned and did a visual check on their base units looking for amps and antenna heights etc. We have an extremely obnoxious guy on a base station here for years "Joe 409" and has made many threats against peoples lives, carriers, music playing for days and foul language and everything else you can think of and has had many reports made to the FCC about his actions and I believe he has done likewise against others. I have heard people have even called the local Police on him also, but at least 5 good guys so far have been visited by the FCC and no one has been cited at least the people I have talked to but there has been warnings to lower their antennas, disconnect the amps and more and they have come back to see if the changes have been made. I couldn't believe what I was hearing!. I'm glad my base antenna has not been put up yet! Several guys the FCC have visited never engaged "Joe 409" so this seems even more odd. So this maybe an extremely rare event taken place here in the Catskill Mountains and the Hudson Valley of upstate N.Y.

Last edited:

I have noticed 2 of these new transporter vans in my area also. They are both black with tinted windows and like 5 or more antennas on top one plastic horizontal dipole about 4 foot long on a rotor center roof and a thick wire loop on the very back and the rest are all verticals plus the 4 little like 4" antennas in a 8" square configuration. I see these almost daily but have heard nothing going on here local?

Reactions: 1 person
We have an extremely obnoxious guy on a base station here for years "Joe 409" and has made many threats against peoples lives, carriers, music playing for days and foul language and everything else you can think of and has had many reports made to the FCC about his actions and I believe he has done likewise against others. I have heard people have even called the local Police on him also,>

This is like having a giant red neon flashing sign that says hey FCC come to this town.
And they will monitor the air for a day or so and collect data, plus some of those who sent complaints in may have added some on-the- air recordings for them to listen to.
If there is a lot of radio activity you can be sure they will rattle cages before leaving town.

Jeff

This is like having a giant red neon flashing sign that says hey FCC come to this town.
And they will monitor the air for a day or so and collect data, plus some of those who sent complaints in may have added some on-the- air recordings for them to listen to.
If there is a lot of radio activity you can be sure they will rattle cages before leaving town.

Jeff

I have heard others have done this "record the abuse" I personally never got involved for he gives me a very low signal and did not want to be on his hit list but he has bought several amps but his long long key downs burn them up quickly I have seen a you tube video I think called "Joe 409" where several guys went to his house you can hear him telling some one to call the police yelling like a bitch. His thing is he came from N.Y. city and thinks we are all loser Hill Billey's cause we live in the mountains and farm land many of us are hunters and are hunting club members. Life up here in the mountains is NOTHING like living in the city and he thinks we should know how country folks are losers according to him.

Iat least 5 good guys so far have been visited by the FCC and no one has been cited at least the people I have talked to but there has been warnings to lower their antennas, disconnect the amps and more and they have come back to see if the changes have been made..

So I'm guessing by that statement that amps were found in some of the homes? No fines were imposed? Was their equipment confiscated? Only warnings were issued?

As far as I know the guys that video taped him and others last count is over 40 CBers but at least 5 were just issued warnings but there is a record of this included. I can't reach or our timing is off when I get on the two way to be able to contact everyone. As far as Joe 409 goes who knows? I know this much I have not heard him since before this happened. I believe about every state has put on the books "terrorist threats" and it doesn't mean making one on a CB that there is an exemption. This could turn out to be a very serious matter for him but more than likely he will get away with it when so many have been prosecuted for terrorist threats mainly to married people under domestic violence and neighbor disputes
and no proof. With Joe there is a ton of recordings and evidence.

I imagine, even local authorities could bypass the FCC and take care of local pests by applying the terroristic threat card.

I remember the city of Lancaster, Ohio using an ordinance on the book to deal with a local linear operator in the early 90's. They plastered him with a cornucopia of charges, he eventually plead guilty to disorderly conduct.

The guy has been playing since the 60's. He still operates his station today, sans linear. He's told the story many times, but I can't recall specifics. Anyways, I haven't heard anyone else being molested there since.

I imagine, even local authorities could bypass the FCC and take care of local pests by applying the terroristic threat card..

they don't even need to do that. from Carl Levin's web site.12-01-2000

To address this problem, I cosponsored legislation, authored by Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, to give state and local governments the ability to prevent unlawful use of citizen band radios by authorizing localities to enforce certain FCC regulations. The bill passed the House and Senate this fall and was signed into law by the President the day before Thanksgiving.

This new law amends the Communications Act of 1934 to allow a state or local government to enact legislation enforcing FCC regulations which prohibit: 1) the use of certain CB radio equipment or; 2) the unauthorized operation of CB radio equipment on a frequency between 24 MHz and 35 MHz. Localities can now pass their own ordinances and use their own resources to enforce violations of FCC regulations.

By giving local governments the authority to enforce some FCC regulations already on the books, we can try to put a halt to illegal CB use which disturbs neighborhoods and interferes with the legitimate use of CB radios. That's a message that's good news for everyone. 10-4. - See more at: Carl Levin - United States Senator for Michigan: Newsroom - Columns & Op-Eds

a state or local government to enact legislation enforcing FCC regulations which prohibit: 1) the use of certain CB radio equipment or; 2) the unauthorized operation of CB radio equipment on a frequency between 24 MHz and 35 MHz. Localities can now pass their own ordinances and use their own resources to enforce violations of FCC regulations.

They can enforce " Local Ordinances " that they pass regarding Cb interference, and if the shit gets deep they will still pass the burden to the FCC, because the FCC will not give up their authority to enforce the Rules.
They must first pass the local ordinances to enforce them.
And There have not been many that have passed them, or want to spend the $$$ to enforce them, when in the end it is very possible it will wind up in the hands of the FCC.

I have personally seen rouge radio operators drag crap on for years and years before anything gets done, often it is easier to just get a recording of death threats on the air or sight instances of destruction of personal property to put a stop to some of the problems.

The FCC has written such a web of tangled rules that some of their own agents are confused about and makes it hard to enforce them.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.