• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Good and the Bad

Yikes, looks like that thing got butchered bad... cuts and hack marks all over. The jumper at the crystal looks like it's closing up a previous cut trace, so that needs to be there. The jumper by the meter is suspect, that shouldn't be there unless it's also closing up a cut trace. The first pic also shows jumpers fixing cut traces, so those need to stay put also. If you can't get over 27.185, I'd suspect that the VCO might be unlocking, so you may have to adjust L19 just a touch to see if it'll go above Ch19. If just slightly adjusting L19 doesn't work, then make sure all traces on the PLL chip have been repaired, and nothing else is in place, no wires or extra cuts. You can always install extra channels after you get it going again. :) Let us know how you get on.

~Cheers~

Thank You ET! Now all I have to do is see that pic of the unmolested board. I checked the jumper at the Xtal last night, no cut trace although it crosses over one. The two side by side jumps are to fix a bad spot in the board. Somebody tried to remove a 945 and tore the trace pads on two legs so they jumped. Left those in. The jump by the meter came out, it wasn't a fix. I'd like to find the guy that did this and show him what we used thick Rubber bands for on my uncle's beef farm.

Reactions: Dipole
There's a cut trace up by VR10 that I'm gonna utilize for modulation trick, and one at Pin 13 of the 8719 that I repaired(He was supposed to cut the trace at pin 14, I think he missed

Well, removed the two jumpers, wouldn't xmit. Tweeked L19 a 1/4 turn each way, lost keying circuit. Receive light now stays on when you key the mic. L19 at its' original spot(Made a small witness mark). No, I didn't mark the slug, used a side the of screw slot as a mark. Then I put the jumps back in one at a time to see if they made a difference, they didn't. I'm starting to really get frustrated here. Any suggestions on how to proceed...are welcome.

If push comes to shove, you can mail it to me and I can straighten it out if you want. Just let me know. Hard to troubleshoot when I don't have my eyes on it, know what I mean, Vern? LOL

~Cheers~

I just keep buying other people's junk it seems like. Try to do something straight-forward(Well, at least it should be) and the stuff just dies.

It happens man. Send it to exit13 and he will make it a clean mean radio. He knows his stuff! Good luck and hope you get it up and running. They are great radios!

Reactions: binrat and mb91w126

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.