• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Legend of "Dirty Mike"....

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Just thought I'd come back after cleaning it up to show you the end product. I wish that I would have taken a photo BEFORE I started.... it was really "ookie". A grungy film all over it..... the case, the cord..... it was a mess.

Now that it is good and clean, there ARE typical/normal wear marks but it is clean and shiny again.... and my "mic-less" TRC-458 now has a period correct microphone.

Life is good!

Dirty-Mike-1.jpg

Sadly, I must add.... I dug the radio out and hooked it up to the test bench..... the microphone doesn't work. It keys XMT and RCV ..but no audio. I guess whatever happened to it took out the element. Oh well... it's a nice case......

Reactions: Rwb
Just thought I'd come back after cleaning it up to show you the end product. I wish that I would have taken a photo BEFORE I started.... it was really "ookie". A grungy film all over it..... the case, the cord..... it was a mess.

Now that it is good and clean, there ARE typical/normal wear marks but it is clean and shiny again.... and my "mic-less" TRC-458 now has a period correct microphone.

Life is good!

View attachment 57664
Nice work on the clean up. I go through a lot of Isopropyl alcohol cleaning up stuff I buy online. It's not quite archaeology, but it feels like I'm removing that much dirt.

Wanted to show you this...
1646051393564.png

Realistic older style mic wiring.

It's when you get a mic like that, being that old and has the old logo case design - you might want to investigate the key switch - use your DVM to find bad wiring and or still dirty switch contacts

IN the above, Pin 2 shorts to Pin 4 (Audio) - which Pin 4 then is grounded thru Pin 2...

But in the typical mic wiring non-stock - Pin 2 is N/C (No Connection)

However, older Realistics still SHORT Pin 2 to Pin 4 - So if you run into problems - look for and rewire as needed - those 5-pin DIN style plugs have not changed by much - including that key switch.

1646052633895.png

Even the Internal wiring in the radio - you can still tie Pin 2 to Pin 1 at the jack, which if the Mic was wired old style - would only mute Mic audio Pin 4 to Pin 2 then to ground - AT THE RADIO.

Reactions: Rwb and sunbulls
Wanted to show you this...
View attachment 57683

Realistic older style mic wiring.

It's when you get a mic like that, being that old and has the old logo case design - you might want to investigate the key switch - use your DVM to find bad wiring and or still dirty switch contacts

IN the above, Pin 2 shorts to Pin 4 (Audio) - which Pin 4 then is grounded thru Pin 2...

But in the typical mic wiring non-stock - Pin 2 is N/C (No Connection)

However, older Realistics still SHORT Pin 2 to Pin 4 - So if you run into problems - look for and rewire as needed - those 5-pin DIN style plugs have not changed by much - including that key switch.

Even the Internal wiring in the radio - you can still tie Pin 2 to Pin 1 at the jack, which if the Mic was wired old style - would only mute Mic audio Pin 4 to Pin 2 then to ground - AT THE RADIO.
THAT Is some handy info right there.... and it will be put to use!

Another piece of good news is that I have the other one to compare with... so I have a "good and bad" to work from. Thanks HA!!!

Reactions: Rwb and sunbulls

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.