• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The most important things I learned about CB Radio

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
The most important things I learned about CB radio I had to learn for myself. I did not believe the advise of others. It cost me money. It was fun. I am stuck driving a computer console on New Year's Eve so I made a list.

5. A good antenna and a cheap radio. Will always sound better than an expensive radio and a cheap antenna. It should just be made ito a scientific law.

4. 2/3 of a antenna mast must be above the body of the vehicle for the antenna to function properly. 3 foot antennas are for lawn tractors.

3. Coax connectors do short out after someone unscrews the 25 times.

2. Every radio does not need a noise canceling microphone. Sometimes the stock mic sounds OK.

1. Any CB radio tech that has to use over 1 kilowatt of power on channel 19 to tell everyone that the shop is open, may be considered a golden screwdriver.

Happy New Year to All

Something I learn in the mid 70's when I first got interested in CB radios is, leave the stinking radios along. Do not modifiy. They will work well enough to tall to all of your friends if you have a good antenna in the right location and you keep the SWR's as low as possible. A good tune-up now and then is ok, just leave the mods alone.

all in all , I'd say it was a little bit of radio or amp if your using one ,(and a good tech) but what is most importent is antenna and feedline , and really not so much feedline because many different coaxes will work just fine (although there are better grades all the same.)

The mighty antenna and placement would be at least 75% of the whole ball of wax. Not to fear undertaker , you will come up with something else that will float your boat , if not ? Just buy another Magnum.

I've had at least a few dozen of my own personal radios over the years and not one sticks out in my brain that I missed having after getting rid of them over some 20 years. If there was only one radio that I wouldn't mind getting back after all these years , it would be my first mobile which was a old Cobra 19 with the colorful light show , I ran that radio with about 200 whiskeys on a old Marco with 2 x 454's in it off a K40 drill through mount for about 2 years on a 4 by 4 AMC Eagle Station wagon.

Although my first base which was a Cobra 85 Dynascan is still with the woman that had it back in 85 or so.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.