• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The new RCI-2995DX

Jan 23, 2010
Indianapolis
So last week finally after 10 years, my 2990DX quits. Bummer. I loved this radio, so it makes sense that if I want a replacement for it, the 2995DX is my choice. Called Copper in Louisville and with shipping, it came to $589.00. Not gonna pay them to convert it when all it takes is plugging in the little expander chip. Anyway, I gotta tell you all that this radio SCREAMS!!! Plus Ranger is putting a newer display in them now. Instead of dark numbers with a green background, its a dark background with green numbers. LOOKS TOUGH!!! So being the tinkerer I am, I was messing around with the jumper pins on the CPU board. Now there are three sets instead of just two. I moved the jumper from where it was from the factory to the center pins and WHATS THIS!!!??? 6 METERS???? Sure enough, the display now reads 500000-540000 MHz. Unbelieveable!!! I didn't check transmit on 6 meters, but it appears Ranger is using one universal CPU board for all there radios now, and just setting the jumper accordingly??? Any thoughts???
(y)
4345bb32-1.jpg

the 5054 dx 6 meter model has been out for years now so i'm not surprised
the 2950dx can do 7mhz 14mhz 18.070mhz and 21-29.699 and 24- 32 just in case you didn't know also
there's nothing really special about the display, they just flipped the polarizing filter.I have read on another forum where a chap cut the filter off a lincoln with a razor blade and flipped it also.
I dare say the ham band conversion is a permanent mod ie once the radio is set up for a particular band you lose the rest.
It's not all that surprising that they can be converted for ham bands as there are a lot of multimode 2 conversion sites on the net also to convert to say the 80 metre band. Even those old radios were probably designed from new with hams in mind to convert easily to increase their market and I imagine ranger is no exception.

i do a peak and tune on it that really is just adding an extra diode so you can deadkey low and swing high. Right now I have mine set to deadkey 2 watts (zero modulation) and swing 150-170 watts PEP on AM. I have heard of mods to make it do upwards of 300+ but youre just asking for trouble then. Way to much wattage for a 25A switching power supply. :oops:

"set to deadkey 2 watts (zero modulation) and swing 150-170 watts PEP on AM"

i bet that sounds wonderful .

"set to deadkey 2 watts (zero modulation) and swing 150-170 watts PEP on AM"

i bet that sounds wonderful .
I bet it does too, that's about what it should do. My G/L and 2517 do about 40-45w, I hear they can do 60w, but why?

If I ever replace my 101, I think I'd like to try one of these.

do i detect a hint of sarcasm??? LOL :bdh:

dont mind me . im just one of the idiots that believe deadkey %25 of what youre cleanly swinging on AM . ive seen and unfortunately herd too many folks running much higher ratios and theyre always over modulated . ive never herd anyone going from 2 to 150-170 watts though , im sure if they were within a few MHz. of me that i would though .

dont mind me . im just one of the idiots that believe deadkey %25 of what youre cleanly swinging on AM . ive seen and unfortunately herd too many folks running much higher ratios and theyre always over modulated . ive never herd anyone going from 2 to 150-170 watts though , im sure if they were within a few MHz. of me that i would though .

2 watts swinging to 150+ w pep,man i'd love to see that on a spectrum analyser,i imagine it would make a picture that looks a bit like the himalayas (possibly the alps and rocky mountains too,all laid side by side),dearie me.:headbang:headbang

not so sure of hearing him within a few Mhz of you booty,but i think you might hear him if your were within a few Ghz of his centre frequency.

Altogether now:

"Happy happy happy happy watts"

2 watts swinging to 150+ w pep,man i'd love to see that on a spectrum analyser,i imagine it would make a picture that looks a bit like the himalayas (possibly the alps and rocky mountains too,all laid side by side),dearie me.:headbang:headbang

not so sure of hearing him within a few Mhz of you booty,but i think you might hear him if your were within a few Ghz of his centre frequency.

Altogether now:

"Happy happy happy happy watts"

Oh my good Lord!!! I swear there are more whiny little girls on here than the Hanna Montana forum. Jesus Christ! :bdh::bdh::bdh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.