• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Rare "I Get A New Radio" eternal question thread

OK, my trusted friend and radio nuts!

I get to splurge. My AT 6666 is down and pending its repair (if it can be repaired) and relegation to backup, I have the opportunity to splurge on a new radio. My car is SMALL so I usually run it on the seat and stow it when not in use.

I love the 6666 and have learned to operate it "blind" and in the dark even though it is menu driven but I do miss a clarifier and mode switch that are dedicated.

My base station is an Icom 7200 and it gets great audio checks even on the rare AM contact but it is a bit big for the car and I do not need full HF capabilities (I don't think)!

So. I'd like to buy a radio that will do it all or most of it. It doesn't need 200W, I operate SSB/AM and some 10m currently. I could see a time in the future I'd use the mobile on HF if I had the capability.

You all have some amazing taste and experience and technical knowledge.

What should I buy and why? Please include negatives if they're nagging but that would no preclude me from choosing the radio.

I don't want to spend $300-500 on a big gun radio that just looks good and is overpriced. Am I just in the HF ham radio range now? If so, which one.

If a 10m export job, SSB is a must. FM is not.

Thank you from the Great Pacific Northwest.

213 bids you 73!

Re: ham radio options - while just above the upper end of your budget of $500 at about $640 from the major online amateur radio suppliers, my vote would be for the Yaesu FT-891. If you liked your AT-6666 you'd be over the moon with this radio - it's in a completely different universe as far as features, quality and performance. It'd be worth the wait to work some odd jobs/overtime, skip eating out, whatever to make up the difference and get one of these. Can't see how you'd be disappointed... I have a few and I won't be parting with them. Detachable faceplate (you mentioned small car, put the transceiver unit under seat, mount faceplate on dash), 100 watts, super quiet receive, excellent transmit audio on wide setting & very good digital noise reduction. A few of the big online suppliers will even do the MARS mod for an extra $40.

Last edited:
I have been running an Anytone 5555 and I hate to admit that I love the damn thing! It does about 45-50w PEP all day and never seems to break a sweat. Problem is even finding one now, since it seems they quit making them. I hit a few of them when they were 214.00 a piece on fleabay. I cannot regret it. I imagine there are still some out there under Alinco name last I looked, but the six pin or so mic plug turned me off on that one.

Off topic, do you still have that 148GTL I sold you long ago? If so, how is it doing?

Tony

Reactions: TheRATT
It is not one of those, I live in Italy, here we have small trucks. It's hard to make deliveries with such big trucks, we do Italy Switzerland up the mountains, that's okay for me so I don't want bigger. The truck is made by a German manufacturer MAN, and the model is TGX.View attachment 58455
Aah, that's a nice looking truck, a MAN. Sounds like you might have some good scenery in the mountains, with a nice radio setup. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Eldorado828
I have been running an Anytone 5555 and I hate to admit that I love the damn thing! It does about 45-50w PEP all day and never seems to break a sweat. Problem is even finding one now, since it seems they quit making them. I hit a few of them when they were 214.00 a piece on fleabay. I cannot regret it. I imagine there are still some out there under Alinco name last I looked, but the six pin or so mic plug turned me off on that one.

Off topic, do you still have that 148GTL I sold you long ago? If so, how is it doing?

Tony
Yes, I have it! A D104M wired up and all cleaned up. Got a new face for it and had our local ex-Navy guy go through it. Classic big audio!

Reactions: Holydvr
No CB radio will ever give you the stability like a HF radio .I sold it and have to make room for ftdx10 . Unfortunately, I spend too much time in the truck, and I like to have something good. Good luck .View attachment 58452
Do you have multiple antennas strung up at all? This interests me. Of course, it probably is the chase of all HF amateur hounds... hahahah

The antenna a big trouble, once I thought of yaesu atlas 120, then I gave up because of the little power it holds. i go with RM kl 805 24volt so i don't need a converter in the truck this makes me about 300w in AM. I used the striker sr-a10 a lot, until the winter period knocked it out. Now I have two antennas ahead of the AV 251 that I use in Switzerland because of the very low bridges, and the Avanti AV 281 when I am in Italy ,more easy so because they have the same attack .It is not easy to manage antennas for the whole HF spectrum. Good luck . IMG_5723.pngIMG_5462.pngIMG_4943.png

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.