• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The RCI 2790dx verses the RCI 2790N2...Is there much difference?

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
The RCI 2790dx verses the RCI 2970N2...Is there much difference?

I am now looking at the RCI 2970n2 and I am wondering if the 2970n2 is that much better than the 2790dx? I realize the 2790dx has less power but...is there any other improvements in the 2970n2 that make it that much better than the 2790dx. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

I believe it's the other way around Mister 70, the N2 has 50 more watts. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

70DX = 150 w

N2 = 200 W

Agreed...The RCI 2970n2 does has more power...I made a boo boo in my post. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
I am now looking at the RCI 2790N2 and I am wondering if the 2790N2 is that much better than the 2790dx? I realize the 2790dx has less power but...is there any other improvements in the 2790N2 that make it that much better than the 2790dx. Thanks in advanced.
This is a new radio to me, so I looked for it on the Ranger site, but they didn't show the 2790n2 or 2790dx.

I do have a 2970n2 here and it does considerable more than the 2970dx - which is about 150 more. It does have a "quieter" receiver on SSB than my other dx models.

Several guys have seen 300 on their N2's and including the one I have.
I checked mine using to different meters - Palstar and RadioCraft Amateur Radio Products - 3000 PRO SWR / Wattmeter

This is a new radio to me, so I looked for it on the Ranger site, but they didn't show the 2790n2 or 2790dx.

I do have a 2970n2 here and it does considerable more than the 2970dx - which is about 150 more. It does have a "quieter" receiver on SSB than my other dx models.

Several guys have seen 300 on their N2's and including the one I have.
I checked mine using to different meters - Palstar and RadioCraft Amateur Radio Products - 3000 PRO SWR / Wattmeter

I stand corrected...It is indeed a RCI 2970n2. I never was good with numbers. :redface:

He He, not a problem, I knew what you were talking about.

I forgot to mention one other thing; I have been told that the N2 also has a 'speech processor" inside.
Which using just the stock mic, they have good strong audio.

I think I am going to sell my RCI 2970dx and purchase a 2970n2. I am going to trade in my SS 158 (still in the unopened box) and sell the 2970dx... It doesn't make sense to have two mobiles when I only need one. I am still in the thinking stage. Again thanks for your info as it is appreciated.

I do have a 2970n2 here and it does considerable more than the 2970dx - which is about 150 more.
those radios may be capable of achieving those output numbers, but i would never run them that hard. the galaxy 98vhp that i had, which has the same setup as the 2970n2 but, i only ran it up to 225w. they last longer that way. (y)

I think I am going to sell my RCI 2970dx and purchase a 2970n2. I am going to trade in my SS 158 (still in the unopened box) and sell the 2970dx... It doesn't make sense to have two mobiles when I only need one. I am still in the thinking stage. Again thanks for your info as it is appreciated.

JMHO i would keep one moblie radio for a back-up you never know if you need to send your main radio to the doctor. And you will have no problem selling the 2970dx Let me know if you do plan on selling the 2970dx.

Wow ! not to up on these radios but pound for pound these are some fine AM/SSB radios. I can't tell you which one is better or not ? just because one does more then the other doesn't have to make it better.

I've heard both models pretty much sounding as good as they always did. don't want to push these fine radios to much. Buddy of mine smoked 2 mosfet models and luckily got new ones from the factory both times. He learned to take it easy on those fine radios.

Although he still has his old model 2970 with the 2290s (I believe it is) These are truly fine talking radios. It's only one of a few radios I never owned but would like to one day over anything else on my mind.

IM not a fan of Galaxy radios (especially where SSB is concerned), but did I hear right ? that the 2970N2 is the same as the Galaxy 98 ? Hmmmmmm

It has the same final section of 8 mosfets. Kinda like the old 2970 and Galaxy 95T both have a pair of 2290's.

JMHO i would keep one moblie radio for a back-up you never know if you need to send your main radio to the doctor. And you will have no problem selling the 2970dx Let me know if you do plan on selling the 2970dx.

I am 99% sure I will be selling the 2970dx. I have a RCI 6300 as a back up radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.