• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The sun is firing, yet no skip :(

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
I dont know if you guys have been watching the latest news on the sun but it is firing off major flares, cme's etc. Even massive sunspots all over. As of this post the numbers are:
SFI 91
SN 77
A 14
K 2

A is kinda high but according to those numbers we should be having some pretty good, well ok propagation right now. Nope, silent! Whats going on? This is just weird. Heres the latest soho pic as well. Cmon skip, lets go already.latest.jpg

Last edited:

Solar flares and CME's do NOT help propagation. In fact they do the opposite, they kill it. Nothing quite like listening to a crowded band with the DX rolling in as a CME sweeps past the earth and in a matter of a minute the bands go dead except for a very few weak stations left. It is eerie. Normal radiation from sunspots is what increases propagation.

Solar flares and CME's do NOT help propagation. In fact they do the opposite, they kill it. Nothing quite like listening to a crowded band with the DX rolling in as a CME sweeps past the earth and in a matter of a minute the bands go dead except for a very few weak stations left. It is eerie. Normal radiation from sunspots is what increases propagation.
What about coronal holes? Do they help or hinder in any way?

coronal holes are connected to the appearance of increased solar wind. high levels of solar x-ray activity are ionizing the d-layer causing attenuation and absorption of hf signals and preventing them from reaching the f1 and f2 layers necessary for long distance hf propagation. this has been taking place prior to the contest and is ongoing. currently, no estimated recovery time has been established.

C, D, E, F, F1 & F2 regions of the ionosphere.
https://www.electronics-notes.com/a...eric/ionospheric-layers-regions-d-e-f1-f2.php

Last edited:
Ok im getting it. So the key is lots of healthy sunspots with no flares, cme or coronal holes = good hf propagation. In a nut shell. I need to go back and re read my arrl handbook's lol

This is something that should be said more often. There's too many out there believing the opposite.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated