• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

There is lots of bad advice on the web.

I have found that a lot of sites have "sponsors", and oftentimes answers are geared towards helping those "sponsors" sell gear. Regardless of whether it's right for the user's needs or not. One of many reasons that I prefer this radio forum!

RT307

And I might add that some of those are PPoor sponsors as well, at least one is.

A few techs get a lot of work thrown their way from this site. Yet, you rarely see any of them checking in to show their gratitude or give out a piece of advice, or so. Some tech('s) are placed so damn high on their pedestal that maybe it's gone to their head.

Just saying...

'Bad advice' comes in several 'flavors'. It runs from misinformed to misinterpreted to 'I want your money'. RG-58 coax has a bad reputation because of all of those reasons, and because it can be had in several different 'grades'. All manufacturers of RG-58 cable make more than one 'grade'. They will make it in any 'grade' that the buyer wants. What the buyer does and says about a particular cable is then the responsibility of the buyer, not the manufacturer. RG-58 can and is used for various things besides RF transmissions, audio for just one. That 'sparsely' shielded RG-58 makes for fairly respectable audio cable for instance. It's used for RF purposes by several manufacturers but in that instance it's typically a 'better' grade of cable. It has a much greater power handling capability -IF- particular attention is paid to how it's used and with what the load's 'shape' is. But, if that particular attention isn't 'paid', then you can certainly end up paying for it.
All that certainly doesn't mean that anyone should immediately change to using RG-58 cable. There's nothing wrong with LMR-200 or LMR-240 cable either!
Have fun...
- 'Doc

That is my point. LMR200 is RG58. It is just a high quality, low loss version with a fancy label. LMR is just a registered trademark of the Times Microwave Corp. Not all coax in the same class performs the same. So they put their own trademark so it stands out from their lesser counterparts.

RG8 mini aka RG8X can handle 1500 watts at 10 MHz or 800 watts at 50 Mhz so it will handle somewhere in between that on 27 Mhz.

I just looked it up. Then again it could be one of those sources of bad info. :laugh:

I have never seen the same specs on 8X. I have seen it rated at over 1KW on some sites. Most I've read are around 700W-800W. I checked it on Belden's web site, quite a while ago. They list theirs at about 1000W @ 10 MHz, and 370W @ 50 MHz. That figures to about 700W @ 30 MHz.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/9258.pdf

RG8 mini aka RG8X can handle 1500 watts at 10 MHz or 800 watts at 50 Mhz so it will handle somewhere in between that on 27 Mhz.

I just looked it up. Then again it could be one of those sources of bad info. :laugh:

I have never seen the same specs on 8X. I have seen it rated at over 1KW on some sites. Most I've read are around 700W-800W. I checked it on Belden's web site, quite a while ago. They list theirs at about 1000W @ 10 MHz, and 370W @ 50 MHz. That figures to about 700W @ 30 MHz.

http://www.belden.com/techdatas/english/9258.pdf

This is a classic example of what this thread is all about in the first place. :laugh:

Ham Radio Coaxial Cable Power Handling and Loss Specifications - Velocity Factors of Feedlines

Scroll down for specs.

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.