• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking about buying a new digital Police scanner!!

AmericanEagle575

Supporting Sr. Member WDX-1863
Feb 17, 2016
Bellefonte,Pennsylvania
Good Morning, well I'm thinking about purchasing a new scanner for my Radio Desk and I have my choices narrowed down between 2:
1: Uniden Home Patrol 536 Base
or
2: Uniden Home Patrol 2

Would appreciate info, opinions, pro's and Cons on each from anyone who has one or has owned one in the past!!

Thank you in advance,

Steve

Steve: Have to look at specs for those models...but would not purchase one unless can copy Motorola P25 phase II and now coming Phase III audio. I looked at one as Indiana will be making transition to Phase III over the next couple years from Phase II.
They do this every 8-10 years just to keep people from listening. They now have laptops and a digital link in most cars now, never even transmit audio, so you can't listen. Latest scanner witch will adapt for us is the Whistler Model ??? forget now but like $700 USD. Must be software programable/upgradable for the newer encryption coming...PITA...So my 2 cents.
The Uniden HPII, will work fine here but will be worthless in a few years, some encryption changes already will make it worthless in some locations here! (hence Uniden prices dropping)
You need to investigate operations now and see what's coming your area soon, it's all changing.
Some locations(TX and East Coast area) have special encryption which can not even be decoded with a scanner.
All the Best
Gary

Steve: Have to look at specs for those models...but would not purchase one unless can copy Motorola P25 phase II and now coming Phase III audio. I looked at one as Indiana will be making transition to Phase III over the next couple years from Phase II.
They do this every 8-10 years just to keep people from listening. They now have laptops and a digital link in most cars now, never even transmit audio, so you can't listen. Latest scanner witch will adapt for us is the Whistler Model ??? forget now but like $700 USD. Must be software programable/upgradable for the newer encryption coming...PITA...So my 2 cents.
The Uniden HPII, will work fine here but will be worthless in a few years, some encryption changes already will make it worthless in some locations here! (hence Uniden prices dropping)
You need to investigate operations now and see what's coming your area soon, it's all changing.
Some locations(TX and East Coast area) have special encryption which can not even be decoded with a scanner.
All the Best
Gary
They both can do Phase 1 and 2,my Town uses a County wide Motorola P25 phase 1 system at the moment!!

The Commonwealth’s new P25 radio system (Phase II TDMA)
Is coming! (Pennsylvania correct? )
Also phasing with AT&T / broadband...Laptop/Digi burst transmission (like I said Ind uses) no audio/digi squeal on certain frequencies/and via WIFI...so never hear the communication.
The lay of the land. GL
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
The Commonwealth’s new P25 radio system (Phase II TDMA)
Is coming! (Pennsylvania correct? )
Also phasing with AT&T / broadband...Laptop/Digi burst transmission (like I said Ind uses) no audio/digi squeal on certain frequencies/and via WIFI...so never hear the communication.
The lay of the land. GL
All the Best
Gary
Yes,however that is only for State agency use( State Police,Penndot,State forest service,etc.) I'm just focused on Centre County ( State College and Bellefonte area where I live at) at the moment,the above will not affect the County!!
I'm using the hand held BCD436HP and am glad I chose it.
Thank you, I just bought a brand new Uniden 536 on eBay for $499, should be here by April 11!!

i just don't understand the high cost of these scanners.

Aren't they just computers with a receiver front end and an IF or two?

Seems to me that one could just make the actual radio receiver part and just plug it in to your home computer these days.

This would eliminate having to buy a new piece of equipment every 8 years, as you could just do software updates to keep current.

i find it hard to believe that no one is doing this or trying to do it these days, but when i look around the net i can't seem to find it.

IDK anyone else think like this?
LC

i just don't understand the high cost of these scanners.

Aren't they just computers with a receiver front end and an IF or two?

Seems to me that one could just make the actual radio receiver part and just plug it in to your home computer these days.

This would eliminate having to buy a new piece of equipment every 8 years, as you could just do software updates to keep current.

i find it hard to believe that no one is doing this or trying to do it these days, but when i look around the net i can't seem to find it.

IDK anyone else think like this?
LC
Technology changes I/e:
Before 1993: had a Radio Shack Pro 42 handheld and Radio Shack Pro 2030( both non trunking and basic) as then my County used a Mixture of VHF hi and Lo for the police and Fire depts then until everything changed over.....

1993: had a Radio shack Pro 2050 trunking scanner to monitor our local public safety freq since it was a Moto Type 2 analog system at the time!

2015: had to replace the above scanner with a Radio Shack Pro 652,since our County changed over to a Motorola P25 Phase 1 which I currently still have!!

2022: decided to upgrade to the Uniden Home patrol 536,still listening to the same system above currently, just wanted to be prepared just in case our County goes to Phase 2 someday in the future!!!

I do see your point,but I wonder if the reason it's not done is because manufacturers of scanners would lose money....??????,also I think because of technology constantly changing,jmo..but I have wondered the same thing...........

Last edited:
Reactions: loosecannon
The collage info will most likely be one of the last to convert. The local departments will have to convert to be able to communicate across the new network, with any of the Statewide agencies. I've seen the same happen in Indiana, local VFD's and small-town Marshall's/PD's etc. were last to change due to cost, but overtime had to make the switch. Many of the smaller systems had to simulcast on old and new frequencies due to this, but eventually they had to change otherwise they could not coordinate with the other agencies. They could not get the information they needed via the old network.
Just FYI. The scanner purchased is a good one from what I have reviewed. However, here in Indiana will soon be obsolete. I see Indiana eventually going the total encryption package making it damn near impossible to hear anything, most locals are already doing a big percentage of info via the WIFI and Digi network via in-car laptops, thus nothing is ever broadcast on radios.
Enjoy
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
The collage info will most likely be one of the last to convert. The local departments will have to convert to be able to communicate across the new network, with any of the Statewide agencies. I've seen the same happen in Indiana, local VFD's and small-town Marshall's/PD's etc. were last to change due to cost, but overtime had to make the switch. Many of the smaller systems had to simulcast on old and new frequencies due to this, but eventually they had to change otherwise they could not coordinate with the other agencies. They could not get the information they needed via the old network.
Just FYI. The scanner purchased is a good one from what I have reviewed. However, here in Indiana will soon be obsolete. I see Indiana eventually going the total encryption package making it damn near impossible to hear anything, most locals are already doing a big percentage of info via the WIFI and Digi network via in-car laptops, thus nothing is ever broadcast on radios.
Enjoy
All the Best
Gary
Thank you, Well put,however I don't believe it will happen in Pennsylvania because in the past when the State agency's switched from the VHF system to the Current opensky digital system,it did not affect our County or any other locals as they all stayed on the own separate local Public safety radio systems that I'm aware of!

Reactions: undertaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.