• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking about making my first experimental Di-Pole for my garage. ( Got Questions )

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Found this Balun in Walmart .com and wondering if this is the proper one for 11 meter. I know there is cheaper ones else where but I don't have to give CC# with reloadable gift card so that's the way I choose to go.

Found this Balun in Walmart .com and wondering if this is the proper one for 11 meter. I know there is cheaper ones else where but I don't have to give CC# with reloadable gift card so that's the way I choose to go.

That’s the right one.
Here’s a calculator for determining wire lengths.
https://www.westmountainradio.com/antenna_calculator.php?frequency
Start with lengths a couple of inches longer than recommended and trim them (equally) for lowest SWR.

Thanks for the info, now another question is I have a partial spool of some kind of communication wire that was being throw out but was never used. It has 6 separate strands of 22 gauge wire with a bare ground and a foil coating around it, if I soldered them all together could i use that wire on each side of the balun for a leg of the dipole or does it need to be a certain OHM wire ?

Thanks for the info, now another question is I have a partial spool of some kind of communication wire that was being throw out but was never used. It has 6 separate strands of 22 gauge wire with a bare ground and a foil coating around it, if I soldered them all together could i use that wire on each side of the balun for a leg of the dipole or does it need to be a certain OHM wire ?
That should work fine. :giggle:

Reactions: whiteastro
That should work fine. :giggle:
Thanks for the encouragement, as it will aid in my willingness to experimenting with useless stuff laying around and be glad I gave it a purpose in life. LOL PS if it works out I'll have enough for at least a couple!

Ya as long as your soldering the bare wire that ties the shield in it should work.

Do you have a SWR meter?

It's great to experiment and build as that's how we all gain better understanding. That balun is pricey for what it is. There are less expensive baluns out there if you dig a little more.

This whole dipole with balun ready to hang is less expensive than the mfj.

I've had this very one in the attic for about 5 years now as a backup antenna and for local talk.

Not discouraging a home brew by any means, just saying that balun is on the high side from there considering it's only the balun.

It's great to experiment and build as that's how we all gain better understanding. That balun is pricey for what it is. There are less expensive baluns out there if you dig a little more.

This whole dipole with balun ready to hang is less expensive than the mfj.

I've had this very one in the attic for about 5 years now as a backup antenna and for local talk.

Not discouraging a home brew by any means, just saying that balun is on the high side from there considering it's only the balun.
Yes I know the balun is on the high side but I don't use paypal anymore and I don't want to bother my daughter to buy another one from eBay. I have a 1/4-1/3 of a roll of wire I want to use up instead of taking it to the scrap yard So why not learn something in the process. Thanks for the help. I also have a eBay di-pole in my attic that I have to get up and shorten. I'm impressed on how quite they can be.

234/Frequency in MHz=length of one "pole" in feet.
468/Frequency in MHz= overall length of "dipole"

234/27.185= 8.608 ft. = 8' 7-1/4"
My experience is that I've always had to trim wire off to tune to my desired frequency using this equation.
But like Riverman said it never hurts to cut long to give yourself enough rope to secure the ends.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.