• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking of making a base station: Go 12v mobile or buy a new/vintage base?

mroneeyedboh

Mar 9, 2014
Looking at possibly getting back into CB and I might want to set up something in the large shed I have. What Im curious about is, should I go a mobile 12v or get a dedicated base station one? Ive seen vintages that are supposedly good like the Uniden Washington, Cobra 2000 etc. or maybe new?

Looking for suggestions!

Thanks!

Will be used solely as base only.

Last edited:

I would prefer a Uniden Washington Base because you can run it mobile too with a 12V cord and does not require an external speaker like the Cobra 2000 GTL,plus is smaller than the 2000

Looking at possibly getting back into CB and I might want to set up something in the large shed I have. What Im curious about is, should I go a mobile 12v or get a dedicated base station one? Ive seen vintages that are supposedly good like the Uniden Washington, Cobra 2000 etc. or maybe new?

Looking for suggestions!

Thanks!

Will be used solely as base only.

In a shed I would probably go with a mobile for one reason only, less room for bugs to get inside and have a comfy home near that nice warm power supply.

But then I don't know your situation and can only say what I would do.

Unless you are driving a white pedo van or old SUburban your not mounting a base radio into a modern car or truck! LOL. That said I would get a good mobile SSB radio and a 10-12 amp switching power supply. Meanwell of Samlex are both good. If the power supply on a base goes out you have to send the entire radio out to get fixed even if the rest of the radio is working. With a mobile, if the power supply goes bad you can just replace it and send the old one out for repairs while you still have the radio. IF the radio goes bad you save on shipping because it is just a fairly small lightweight radio not a radio and power supply. Most bases are much more expensive than the same radio they are based off of and a power supply. The footprint of a base is much larger too since the speaker is often built in and this limits where you can place the unit. I own 2 base stations and I own 9 mobile units.

A NOS vintage or recaped Uniden Grant, PX76 or similar Cobra would be ideal. If looking for Black Box radio an Anytone AT-6666 would be a good way to go.

I see more and more people in my area using the Uniden 980ssb. Good sounding and a good receive. They also get the wireless mic and can walk around the house or yard with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.