• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

This has probably been asked 1000 times

digitalman12

Oct 14, 2008
KS
Which radio? Ok, so I'm new here, but I need some of your expert advise.

I drive a kw t2000 truck (company vehicle) as most know, the ground point on these things aren't worth a crap, so I got a custom made bracket and mounted it on the back hand-grab rail, along with a good antenna and ran some custom coax to the existing c.b.

Here is where I'm at, the c.b. that is there is company provided, it is a cobra 29 and it is IN the dash. slid thru a hole like the DIN stereo would fit in. It is rather tight fit, and I can't file it out anymore than it already is to put a big case radio in like a galaxy 99.

Ok, I want a better radio, one with SSB channels, more wattage, echo & talk back and even a freq counter would be nice, but I am stuck with getting a radio that is the same exact case size of a cobra 29. I don't have much time at home, and most sites that sell cb's do not list their case sizes, so here's where you the experts come in.

Which radios fit this bill that will fit where my cobra 29 is currently at? Remember that it is IN the dash, so I only have access to the front panel, so the mic must hook into the front panel, and NO side or rear switches as I would not have access to them.

I see the pics of the newer galaxy 9xx series look like they have a small case, but can't tell from just the pics on the 'net. So all suggestions are appreciated.

I did buy a monkey made antenna, but after reading on here a little bit, realized that maybe was a mistake. It works great, but not sure I wanna have it out there this winter (which is fast approaching) So I am also asking for the better type antenna I should switch to.

I am NOT going to be adding any external amps at this time, and would just be happy with a radio that would put out say 50-80 watts (after being worked on, of course)

TIA:)

what did sparky reccomend?i,m curious

Sorry so long to respond, been on the road.....

He recommended either the Galaxy 919 or the 979. I chose the 919, because I don't have much time to play with the sideband stuff out there right now.

Got the big power kit on the 919 (40-50w I think he said), and I just got it installed this morning. I haven't had time to see how far out it will reach, running a monkey made antenna, but after reading on here thinking about going to a predator 10K now.

I can say this, the ears on this thing are outstanding because I'm hearing more stuff now than I ever did on that old cobra29!

Also, can say that the factory talkback sounds muffled coming thru my external speaker (which is about 5 feet away from the radio), but when asking on the air, they say voice sounds clear and NOT muffled, so I don't know why the talkback sounds so funky on it.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what shaft length I should get for a predator 10K? Running on a semi truck, mounted on the back hand grab rail. (Mirror mount is non-existant on a KW T2000)

I was thinking about this radio myself, I've got a galaxy 33 and a texas ranger 966 and both are the same size, which is a drag since the cb tray in the truck I drive is not big enough for them.Currently using a cobra ultra 19 to get me by until I make up my mind!May have to give Sparky a call.

Sorry so long to respond, been on the road.....

He recommended either the Galaxy 919 or the 979. I chose the 919, because I don't have much time to play with the sideband stuff out there right now.

Got the big power kit on the 919 (40-50w I think he said), and I just got it installed this morning. I haven't had time to see how far out it will reach, running a monkey made antenna, but after reading on here thinking about going to a predator 10K now.

I can say this, the ears on this thing are outstanding because I'm hearing more stuff now than I ever did on that old cobra29!

Also, can say that the factory talkback sounds muffled coming thru my external speaker (which is about 5 feet away from the radio), but when asking on the air, they say voice sounds clear and NOT muffled, so I don't know why the talkback sounds so funky on it.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what shaft length I should get for a predator 10K? Running on a semi truck, mounted on the back hand grab rail. (Mirror mount is non-existant on a KW T2000)

All those rigs have funky sounding talkback which makes you think you sound like that which is the furthest from the truth, even the one's that sound good to the ear do not give a realistic interpetation of what the radio really sounds like but that aside good luck with the new rig and as for the antenna shaft length the coil needs to be clear of any metal within 4' without knowing which sleeper style you have it's impossible for anyone to say so take a measurement from the top of your antenna mount to the top of the sleeper and and add 4'' to 6'' and that should get you close to the shaft length you'll need.

All those rigs have funky sounding talkback which makes you think you sound like that which is the furthest from the truth, even the one's that sound good to the ear do not give a realistic interpetation of what the radio really sounds like but that aside good luck with the new rig and as for the antenna shaft length the coil needs to be clear of any metal within 4' without knowing which sleeper style you have it's impossible for anyone to say so take a measurement from the top of your antenna mount to the top of the sleeper and and add 4'' to 6'' and that should get you close to the shaft length you'll need.

Hey thanks for the info on the talkbalk and the antenna info!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.