• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

This piqued my interest...

We've heard these claims before...

The rest is IMO---

Lou did a good job in showing us how to use Xtal's in IF-Strips to filter down and retrieve the signals you want to hear, but they too, have shown their limits in ability to pull stations in and out of the noise and bandwidth of other stations on adjacent channels.

Wide bandwidths and widely swinging Envelope to Carrier signals have pretty much knocked down any true effort of noise reduction just short of having to move towards the station you want to hear, or turn the power off and wait for anther day with better conditions.

This doesn't seem so novel? Because...

Many units were just "audio filtering" and "Audio processing" circuits.

Which nowadays, is pretty much the staple of any good performance radio platform.

The sad part is that the CB Band is so congested with noise from it's own users, that much of this claim being made has been said before. Cobra had ST, Uniden DSC, Midland ESP - Even Lous' own IF fixes, each one of them was a method of audio processing and Performance Manipulation (AGC or Gain factors - including the use of Schottky diodes, Crystal lattice filtering and various Low-noise RF amp designs)

All have their merits.

But one thing stands out on all of them COMBINED... they cannot remove the noise and bandwidth products the other operators on the other channels impose on the signal you're trying to hear - it's a mixing and overlay event - the signal you're trying to hear is lost, buried in there, somewhere - you have to go find it.

It is hard to quantify such a claim - can it truly "capture" the signal you want to hear versus the noise and audio embedded in with other audio from operators that simply cannot keep their modulation, nor power - to the channel they are on, and not from spilling into and on the one you're listening to?

Due to the sheer nature of AM and he bandwidth necessary to use, let alone those that have converted to Hi-Fi - using even more bandwidth - I would be hard pressed to think this circuit can discern the differences between what is there being used by a carrier and a careful if not considerate operator, and what is not there but as noise as the overlay of another channels own noise being placed upon it? The Spread of audio bandwidth and distortion products from over performing amps and Hi-Fi equipment - you can't be serious about that claim?

Without some form of audio processing; digital or analog, compression or expansion or even simple filtration - there are very few methods available to the CB'er to use.

I'd like to welcome it, but I've been let down before - so the truth lies in the proof. I would not like to see it be a mis-representation or another poor gimmick designed to take advantage of users and kits that eventually may damage their radios from their effort of trying to install it.

When you go into WWDX's site to search; it's has the archives of RX performance, I would not be surprised to know if much of this claim is a modified design that precipitates out of this Sites own repository of ideas, concepts, discussions and modifications - done to the radios of various types for improvements.

This claim may be the collimation of all those others before this - that effort to make things better - I hope the Admins are listening and reading this..

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it may be nigh-improbable that you can retrieve the signals lost in the noise completely clean. However, if it can make even the slightest differences in enjoying a hobby or dealing with another round of burdensome noise levels you have to fight thru to attain and sustain the contact - hopefully it will be at a reasonable cost the market will bear.​

...Hi! I'm Handy Andy, and I IM-proved this message...

We've heard these claims before...

The rest is IMO---

Lou did a good job in showing us how to use Xtal's in IF-Strips to filter down and retrieve the signals you want to hear, but they too, have shown their limits in ability to pull stations in and out of the noise and bandwidth of other stations on adjacent channels.

Wide bandwidths and widely swinging Envelope to Carrier signals have pretty much knocked down any true effort of noise reduction just short of having to move towards the station you want to hear, or turn the power off and wait for anther day with better conditions.

This doesn't seem so novel? Because...

Many units were just "audio filtering" and "Audio processing" circuits.

Which nowadays, is pretty much the staple of any good performance radio platform.

The sad part is that the CB Band is so congested with noise from it's own users, that much of this claim being made has been said before. Cobra had ST, Uniden DSC, Midland ESP - Even Lous' own IF fixes, each one of them was a method of audio processing and Performance Manipulation (AGC or Gain factors - including the use of Schottky diodes, Crystal lattice filtering and various Low-noise RF amp designs)

All have their merits.

But one thing stands out on all of them COMBINED... they cannot remove the noise and bandwidth products the other operators on the other channels impose on the signal you're trying to hear - it's a mixing and overlay event - the signal you're trying to hear is lost, buried in there, somewhere - you have to go find it.

It is hard to quantify such a claim - can it truly "capture" the signal you want to hear versus the noise and audio embedded in with other audio from operators that simply cannot keep their modulation, nor power - to the channel they are on, and not from spilling into and on the one you're listening to?

Due to the sheer nature of AM and he bandwidth necessary to use, let alone those that have converted to Hi-Fi - using even more bandwidth - I would be hard pressed to think this circuit can discern the differences between what is there being used by a carrier and a careful if not considerate operator, and what is not there but as noise as the overlay of another channels own noise being placed upon it? The Spread of audio bandwidth and distortion products from over performing amps and Hi-Fi equipment - you can't be serious about that claim?

Without some form of audio processing; digital or analog, compression or expansion or even simple filtration - there are very few methods available to the CB'er to use.

I'd like to welcome it, but I've been let down before - so the truth lies in the proof. I would not like to see it be a mis-representation or another poor gimmick designed to take advantage of users and kits that eventually may damage their radios from their effort of trying to install it.

When you go into WWDX's site to search; it's has the archives of RX performance, I would not be surprised to know if much of this claim is a modified design that precipitates out of this Sites own repository of ideas, concepts, discussions and modifications - done to the radios of various types for improvements.

This claim may be the collimation of all those others before this - that effort to make things better - I hope the Admins are listening and reading this..

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it may be nigh-improbable that you can retrieve the signals lost in the noise completely clean. However, if it can make even the slightest differences in enjoying a hobby or dealing with another round of burdensome noise levels you have to fight thru to attain and sustain the contact - hopefully it will be at a reasonable cost the market will bear.​

...Hi! I'm Handy Andy, and I IM-proved this message...

You just need to skedaddle on down to Epstein’s Ranch in New Mexico. Talk to the gate guard in the ratty motor home at the back (remote) entrance, as he can have your rig listening to echoes of The Big Bang in nothin’ flat.

You just need to skedaddle on down to Epstein’s Ranch in New Mexico. Talk to the gate guard in the ratty motor home at the back (remote) entrance, as he can have your rig listening to echoes of The Big Bang in nothin’ flat.

Probably be easier to get some peyote for that. Less damaging to your radio, too.

Reactions: Slowmover
"Hello and Welcome one an All to the Show That Has Everybody Calling in! That's right, it's the Answeing Machine Show!

We're sorry but todays contestants can't come to the Phone right now, so please feel free to play along at home by answering the Following 4 questions.

Number,
1 - What is your Name?
2 - The purpose of the call?
3 - The Time you called
and number 4 - the most important one...
A Return Phone number...

If you can answer those 4 questions you'll receive a complimentary free gift!

That's right!
A Return phone call!
Stay tuned to your phone for details and thanks again for playing the Answering Machine Show."

Then play this along with your speech - practice it as many times as needed - to get your voice and tempo to the right speed to match this...

I'm still not even that impressed with the noise reduction performance in the latest and greatest SDRs (Apache Labs Anan running Thetis, Latest Flex series using SmartSDR, Hybrid-knobbed radios like TS-890S, FTDX-101D, etc.) so how is some CB accessory going to revolutionize noise reduction? Let's see it.

Reactions: Rwb
Where is it said to “an accessory”?

The news blurb states a radio on its way.

I’ve been wondering price. Sans internal amp (a biggun’) I don’t foresee it being past $400 (street).

A new Grant or Lincoln would be it’s natural home.

$350.

Reactions: Rwb
"Hello and Welcome one an All to the Show That Has Everybody Calling in! That's right, it's the Answeing Machine Show!

We're sorry but todays contestants can't come to the Phone right now, so please feel free to play along at home by answering the Following 4 questions.

Number,
1 - What is your Name?
2 - The purpose of the call?
3 - The Time you called
and number 4 - the most important one...
A Return Phone number...

If you can answer those 4 questions you'll receive a complimentary free gift!

That's right!
A Return phone call!
Stay tuned to your phone for details and thanks again for playing the Answering Machine Show."

Then play this along with your speech - practice it as many times as needed - to get your voice and tempo to the right speed to match this...

my choice version,HOPE YOUR NOT ASKING WHERE THE BODYS ARE BURIED,IVE FORGOTTEN N CANT ANSWER YOUR CALL,GOOD DAY

Audio DSP is what it is, it works, but that is that, no spectacular changes it will make, like in my 22 year old F847 with Collins filters and audio based DSP
I.F. based DSP works a bit better specially combined with a good 3 KHz roofing filter, several Notch filters you can set to subdue that nasty station pushing on the side of the receive and what most people forget, use your RF gain and attenuator...
Overloading the front end and mixers cannot be undone in the rest of the radio, not even with the most fancy DSP.
If i have to chose from an S9+++ signal that drowns in crud, or use the attenuator and RF gain to limit it to S3 copy i know what i chose.
Being able to chose from 160 to 6 meters from horizontal/vertical antenna's also helps to subdue the interfering station.
DSP is not a wonderwand, it won't make a almost impossible signal be 100% copy and no distortion signal.
It can just make the difference to be able to copy or not copy the burried signal.
Don't expect miracles of it, my FT991A has a good DSP and Noiseblanker, 3 KHz roofing filter and several DSP notch filters and good Noise Blanker, and even then it is sometimes marginal.
Same was true for the FT2000-D that had a I.F. based DSP as well, but was worse as the newer DSP from the 991A.
Working all tools in the box including ATT and RF gain you can get some decent results but a bad copy won't magically become a wall to wall good copy.

Reactions: Handy Andy
These are good points to remember...

DSP is not a wonderwand, it won't make a almost impossible signal be 100% copy and no distortion signal.
It can just make the difference to be able to copy or not copy the burried signal.
Don't expect miracles of it, my FT991A has a good DSP and Noiseblanker, 3 KHz roofing filter and several DSP notch filters and good Noise Blanker, and even then it is sometimes marginal.
Same was true for the FT2000-D that had a I.F. based DSP as well, but was worse as the newer DSP from the 991A.
Working all tools in the box including ATT and RF gain you can get some decent results but a bad copy won't magically become a wall to wall good copy.

So the proof lies with the operator and their ability to understand how to use such tools. Again pointing back to the notions of DSP and "hands free" tinkering of the signal - the two cannot exist as one unless the operator intervenes and takes control away from one to allow the other to provide the remaining effort.

That skill can't be "taught" by an owners manual - only by direct hands on experience can the user truly use, and appreciate the tools like AF, IF and RF strip processing can provide.

Although Antenna polarization and re-alignment methods are more ideal, you cannot have both in the realm of Highway and traffic you will have to navigate thru - you don't have such luxuries on the road - simpler operation and eyes on the road takes precedence

Motorola used to have a Radio or two that had an external IF gain knob for the purposes of controlling the IF strips ability to convert, it worked a lot like the RF gain knob. Helped to reduce, if not remove, "images" that formed during the conversion process that helped the end user remove a lot of the interfering signal but cannot replace the parts of the signal that is lost, only provide the remaining signal for you to discern the communication and fill in the gaps.

Because of "one hand needs to know what the other is doing" inside the radio - people just wanting to use the radio would not truly understand or how it is possible that they transposed the function of one onto the other and messed-up and missed many weaker signals - due to the operator "over processing" or thru sheer ignorance - forgot to reset the knobs to restore normal operation - which having too many knobs - to control the radio - is not always a good thing.

So for Noise elimination - having to incorporate the function as a standard platform - again away from the users hands - doesn't always turn out the best - for the FACTORY is then setting the receivers performance to a standard it thinks is acceptable.

Only the Real world - will prove this, is not going to be so accepting in a region of spectrum that is already menaced by sheer self-generated interference.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated