• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on an Elkin 4x4.

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
A friend of mine has a Elkin 4 x 4 base amp that he wants $600.00 for. He told me it has new tubes in it and that it also looks like new. Said he was seeing around 1300 watts out of it. Does that sound right and do you think that a fair price for it? Thanks.

If $600 is your price range, I'd keep on the lookout for a decent SB220.. You can do 1500+ easy on a dosey, and it'll work on multiple bands.

Peace,
Josh

I'm afraid I'd have to agree, that's a little 'steep' for a sweep tube amplifier, at least for me. Don't think that I'd want a multi-tube amplifier unless it was just too 'reasonable' not to turn down. (Been there, done that, just not worth the trouble.) Also been the 'SB-220' route. Depending on the particular amplifier who built it and how, an 'SB-220' is a pretty nice amplifier. There are things/mods that make it a much nicer amplifier though (the 'Measures' mods). Still a multi-tube though.
Single tube amplifiers are just easier to maintain, less complicated, will do almost what any multi-tuber will do. The differences in power just aren't worth messing with usually. Then again, using just 'gobs' of power isn't necessary in any reasonable circumstance. In unsusual circumstances maybe, but those really are few and far between.
I guess everyone ought'a try it once. And when you get your fill of it, get back to something reasonable.
- 'Doc

King Mudduck said:
Thanks for the comments guys. I think i will just leave this one for someone else.

Good choice!

If you can't accomplish your desired output with 2-tubes, get bigger tubes! Real tubes!

The purists will say 1-tube only! I'm leaning that way although the SB-220 and the like are hard to argue against!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.