• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on this antenna.

Im working with a Hustler BTV6 at present well when I have time anyways and its very simple inexpenxive and I dont even have the counterpoise wires down yet and it works pretty darn good on 40 meters as it is. I cant wait to get the wire down for each band. Ive got enough antennas but got board with not having anything else to play with and test so Im playing with this multiband vertical hustler as time permits.

Heck I put the thing up myself so its pretty simple and they are proven to work so if limited space is a problem or money is a concern look into the Huster BTV verticals and you can read the reviews online or seee them on Youtube.

Thank you for the correction on the S unit db. I some times get the formulas mixed up. No the antenna I used to compare with was not a paper clip. I do not want to drop name brands for fear of lawsuit for degrading another competitors product. The antennas out there are 2 name brands that claim 80m through 6m. Priced between $250 and $500. With a fiberglass version. I bought one to compare it with just to see. The test was on 10m.

How about a description. .hamstick..short base loaded...screwdriver....ect.

Again I'm curious about its matching network..what must one do to change bands.

I'm a mobile operator so I completely understand compromise vs ease of use.

Let's take my 40 meter hamstick...works well for what it is ..at best it's only 10% efficient but always me to talk on rotten apples every morning on my commute.

Nothing wrong with a compromise antenna for all band use ..but claims of db? Gain needs to be backed up for the consumer.

Obviously on 160 meters it will be 10% or less efficient "but when bands r good that's all you need " and at 23 foot can have gain on upper hf ect. Although the "groundless " design will drastically increase losses "maybe add a ground screen add on for people who would like"

Again it really gonna depend on the systems matching method as to how well this system will work ..little insight could really help here .

Took about five minutes to figure out atleast one of the two antennas and if you look at reviews is well known of how bad these preform..The problem being it isn't resonate on any band and uses a lossy matching network .

The other cheaper and more expensive ones know that an antenna has to be resonate to be efficient.

With that being said the 250$ still sales for the simple facts it's a small footprint no tuner required system..

Remove your db claims and simple market it as what it is .A small easily hidden multiband antenna.

And as far as pricing gos..I would look at cost of manufacturing and a fair price vs well these go for this..While there is a market for these kind of antennas if you beat them on price and show some gain over there version your sales will go up.

There are several same height resonate multi band antennas via gap/traps/taps /end loading that will out perform this one for less to same amount..it won't be as easily hidden but will perform better.

And you won't get any lip from guys like me who build antennas for throwing out claims of db gain .

And just my two cents ...increase overall performance by adding a counter poise of same length as radiating element. "Current maximum" but again will hurt it's easy to hide element.

Another easy yet effective performance increase would be to make separate LC network for each band resonating the antenna and either a simple remote band switch or transceiver band data interface atleast on the lower hf were the antenna is short "could probably get away with just inductors as there is so much capacitive reactance on the system at these frequencies.

Happy building

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know how well this antenna will perform at the frequencies touted, but if you look as the SWR bandwidth curve he posted on his website you can see how the radio would be happy within most ranges across the bandwidth.

Sorry I made this image so big, I hate it when this happens.

SWR_readings7.png

I don't know how well this antenna will perform at the frequencies touted, but if you look as the SWR bandwidth curve he posted on his website you can see how the radio would be happy within most ranges across the bandwidth.

Sorry I made this image so big, I hate it when this happens.

SWR_readings7.png

Not to bad..and like I said there is a ever growing market for it ..I was curious about the db gain claim.

Heck I have taken 40-6 meter hamsticks and connected all to a X flatbar drilled n tapped and placed over a 12' X 12' chicken wire counterpoise. This is far from a good antenna but works acceptable for the gentlemen who needed a simple cheap hidden multiband ." I had the hamsticks laying around".

It's not a contest antenna by any means ..yet he talks on it daily .has a nice swr curve and instant band switching.just shows when the cycle is decent or just local rag chews you don't need a top dollar setup xD.

I've even taken 102" whip and several coils 2" pvc wound per band and a 8' piece of hard waterline underneath and had 160-20 meters with instant band switching "I did have to set a remote switching box for different values of shunt inductors".

Again not a contest antenna but even on 160 meters made several contacts .

For that matter I've talked with trees ..pole frame car port..roof gutters ...window shutters ..and even two old broke down mud trucks..so don't afraid to experiment. .antennas are everywhere.

Don't get me wrong I don't use any of these all the time ..I'm lucky enough not to have any restrictions and several acres of land .I get bored xD.

Thanks t77chevy.

I could imagine this man and his little group were probably doing stuff in the past...just like you and Homer talk about here.

I know some didn't like the idea, but like he said...this is a work in progress.

Thanks guys for your kind input. Yes life goes on, everything evolves as a work in progress! Things change, new materials, different configurations. It all adds up to just having FUN!!!!! Experimenting sooths the soul and helps advance the Art!

Thanks guys for your kind input. Yes life goes on, everything evolves as a work in progress! Things change, new materials, different configurations. It all adds up to just having FUN!!!!! Experimenting sooths the soul and helps advance the Art!

How about a youtube video showing the antenna in action?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.