• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

THREE (3) POLE?

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
I've gave the headphones I use on my smartphone a try on my Madison and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sound coming through the headphones as opposed to the two external Cobra 500 speakers I use. Problem is that the headphone wire is very short. I'd like to purchase a 6 foot extension cord. There are so many choices. I just want to make sure I purchase the correct one. Is the plug in the photo considered a three (3) pole jack?20190417_125557.jpg Thanks. PS. If you've got a set of headphones and never tried using them to listen to your receive I suggest you give it a try.. Thanks. 73

That is a 4 pole.
Thank you 383. No matter how dumb the question might seem asking most likely saved me over a week of wasted time.
My next question. Is this four (4) pole male plug compatible with a three (3) pole female jumper headphone extension cord input? Thanks again 383

A 3 pin will work for audio only applications
It's going to be used to extend the length of the headphone wire that plugs into the 1/8" (3.5mm) input on the back of my madison. From your reply to my second question imI assuming it'll work. Thanks

Close but no cigar! the fourth sleeve is actually the audio from the microphone.
Why would they put video on ear phones?

Sonar if you can find a three conductor extension cable you can use that as long as you do not plan to use the microphone in the earbuds.

My Smart phone came with ear buds that had the TRRS plug. I can plug a regular TRS plug into the phone and it will work the same. Good stereo separation and everything.

Reactions: Sonar and 357magnum
My Smart phone came with ear buds that had the TRRS plug. I can plug a regular TRS plug into the phone and it will work the same. Good stereo separation and everything.
I actually have a set of 6ft long wire earbuds that would most likely work well. Unfortunately earbuds are very uncomfortable. I just can't get used to them and they often pop out of my ear. The headphones are much more comfortable as they are cushioned and pleather covered. I find the headphones very comfortable. And of course there's no issue with them accidentally coming off my head and door ears.

I actually have a set of 6ft long wire earbuds that would most likely work well. Unfortunately earbuds are very uncomfortable. I just can't get used to them and they often pop out of my ear. The headphones are much more comfortable as they are cushioned and pleather covered. I find the headphones very comfortable. And of course there's no issue with them accidentally coming off my head and door ears.

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting you use ear buds but rather stating that the TRS plug seems compatible with the TRRS jacks. At least it was on my Motorola Smart phone.

Reactions: Sonar
I found a set of headphones for $23. They've got an 8ft cord. It's an excellent cord length for my needs. Their audio response is 3omhz - 20khz. Would that type of audio response work well for radio listening? Or is the headphone response not important (no matter what it is?) Iv'e noticed headphone audio response varying (to a high degre.) I'm apssuming some are better for hearing heavy bass. Phones a DJ might use.

Reactions: Tallman
I found a set of headphones for $23. They've got an 8ft cord. It's an excellent cord length for my needs. Their audio response is 3omhz - 20khz. Would that type of audio response work well for radio listening? Or is the headphone response not important (no matter what it is?) Iv'e noticed headphone audio response varying (to a high degre.) I'm apssuming some are better for hearing heavy bass. Phones a DJ might use.
Should work fine for the use you have in mind.

Reactions: Sonar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.