• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tired of fighting that hard-wired power cable? Here's my solution!

ShakyMcQuiver

Apr 11, 2018
How many times have you had to fight with your power cord when working on your base station or other device that has a hard-wired power cord? How many times has it wrapped around your feet or knocked stuff off your bench? Not to mention how the hard-wired cords can get twisted up and sometimes break.

After flipping my Cobra 2000 over about a thousand times during the re-cap job, I was just about ready to go to war and take my chainsaw to the power cord. So here's my solution:

I had extra parts and power supplies laying around from my computer-building projects so I decided to use them.
I removed the back of the radio and chucked it up in my mill. Easy-peazy to buzz the original hole out to fit the new 'Mickey Mouse' power cord socket. This style is a little more heavy duty than a standard PC power cord.

No more fuss! And these cords are readily available in many different lengths. You can even get adapters to convert them to a standard PC plug if you wanted. Most of them are rated for 10 amps which is plenty. The Mickey Mouse cord I'm using is a little higher rated I think. It has 16 gauge wire vs. the PC standard 18.

1663478000327.png1663478049721.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.