• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

To clip or not to clip. That is the ?

Nov 25, 2012
So I have this Brand new magnum S9, and I'm almost certain it will need a peak and tune. What should I tell the tech when I arrive? Leave the amc limiter alone or clip it? What else if anything should I expect aside from converting from 11 meter to 10. Thanks folks for your help. 355

Yeah leave it.. These new radios are loud enough so you dont need to bother the limiter..

A co-worker at my former job had a terrible sounding S9. Crunchy clipped audio. That radio constantly lost finals. He always took it back to the same clip and snip shop that "tuned" it in the first place. SWRs were fine on his antennas, and he ran good coax with no shorts.

I don't know if it was a MOSFET radio or not. I assume it was though because the only thing I could figure that was blowing up so many finals was that they were just driven too damn hard.

He is probably still blowing up finals and still looking for another 5 watts from that radio. He never believed any of us that that radio sounded terrible, because his friend, with an equally bad sounding radio, said it sounded "awesome."

There are too many radios today that "bleed" 16 channels above and below from having limiters clipped and coils spread. There may have been once upon a time I too would have been on that wagon, but knowing what I know now, and trying to talk with my local budds while having some jamoke 5 channels away in Texas screwing up my local qso, it's not within my better judgement to clip, spread, tweak, or max anything anymore. If you need more power of feel better about seeing bigger numbers grab an external amp. Don't destroy a perfectly fine radio.

Reactions: 1 person
So I have this Brand new magnum S9, and I'm almost certain it will need a peak and tune. What should I tell the tech when I arrive? Leave the amc limiter alone or clip it? What else if anything should I expect aside from converting from 11 meter to 10. Thanks folks for your help. 355

Make sure you take it to someone who knows Magnum radio's. If you clip it the Top Gun Modulator feature will be worthless.

limiter

If the Magnum is anything like my 959 then don't even think about clipping the limiter. I run a 1 watt low & 4watt high deadkey with the modulation pot cranked up(limiter hooked up) and I run a Xtreme 2018 Turbo Echo Mic. My brother said it is LOUD LOUD LOUD & LOUD but very clear audio. Get a alignment and enjoy having a awesome sounding radio. :D

Last edited:
So ask the tech to check the alignment, convert to 11 meter, and turn potentiometer up to 100% modulation with amc intact. Will be using rk56 mic Thnx for the info

I changed the diode with a germanium diode with really low leakage. I don't have the right equip to see if it did any thing but it felt good lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.