1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Tokyo Hy-Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Moleculo, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

Since there was a discussion mentioning the Tokyo Hy-Power Amps, I thought I'd post a few pictures of them from Dayton, in case anyone missed them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 190

190 Active Member

Thats a nice amp. wish i could aford it.

3. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Isn't it amazing just how many more components are in a quality amp like that instead of a Dave Made or whatever. And folks wonder why they cost so much more than a slap together product. :headbang

4. Robb

Robb Yup

Very nice amp.
    Not worth the money.
    P.T. Barnum would be proud
    ;)
    :D
    :blink:

5. TonyV225

TonyV225 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I was just thinking about that myself while looking at the pics. I cant imagine having to make the choice between My ALS-600 or an Xforce :w00t: ;)

6. 295

295 Member

One of the guys I talk to on a regular basis on 75 meters has the THP 2.5k model, from the looks in the photos (thanks for sharing) it is a very rugged amp. It is on my list of amplifers I would like to try one day, my only concern is the proprietory RF devices that Tokyo HP uses in their amps. Currently, one of the amps I have is a Yaesu Quadra that I run with a Yaesu FT-1000 Mk.V, with an outboard auto tuner, it is the quietest and easiest set up I have ever used. No doubt that solid state is the future. Amplifers like the THP 2.5K, Quadra, and the Dishtronix Prometheus DX2400L were just amplifiers to dream about 25 years ago. As time goes along, I imagine we will see more amplifer manufactures coming out with solid state amps that will do legal limit. I have even heard rumors that even Alpha Power is considering entering the solid state market, a company that stated not too long ago, that they will only build tube amplifers. I am sure that Ameritron is probably working on a solid state legal limit amplifier. Ameritron (MFJ) is known for reverse engineering other companies products, and finding ways to make it cheaper. It is probably a safe bet that they have looked real hard at the THP 2.5K.

7. n8fgb

n8fgb Well-Known Member

I met a gentleman at Dayton, he had a xformer I wanted, that has one THP transister in a hombrew. 700 watts is what he runs it at, and has room to spare on drive. Said he will never use tubes again. Gave me all his high voltage stuff.
    Rich

8. 295

295 Member

I noticed that a guy who is selling a THP 1.2K on QTH advertised "It has a brand new PA module with the upgraded THP 2933 finals" I wonder what the story is behing the "upgraded final".