• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Top gun technologies quad 5 question

Bandit14

Mar 15, 2022
This is my first post on here. Does anyone have a problem with the top gun technologies quad 5 showing the swr high warning on ssb when you first turn on the radio? My radio is fine after it has been on for about a minute or two then the radio is fine on ssb. I bought the radio new.

Thanks for any information
Bandit (014 KY)

I called the place I bought it from which is also the person that made it. They are supposed to call me back. They tried to say that there is something wrong with my antenna but I know better than that I have my antenna grounded and my swr is 1.0 from 26.450mhz to 27.950mhz. Like I said once the radio is on for a minute or two it's fine also I use it for my base on a 15 amp power supply.

Reactions: Holydvr
What I am thinking is that when I turn the radio off I also turn off my power supply and then it takes a minute to power everything up like it should. The radio has been like that since I received it from Bob's cb. My power supply is getting pretty old my dad got it probably 20 years ago but it still looks like it is new so a new power supply might be the fix for my problem I'm thinking hooking it up in my truck and see if it has the same problem.

Reactions: undertaker
I called the place I bought it from which is also the person that made it
I could be wrong but I don't believe Bob's cb actually manufactured the radio, they are most likely buying them from a distributor. I have seen a ton of radios with this same form factor over the years, maybe Bob tweaks them. They should support it after the sale though.

Give it a try into a dummy load and see how it goes. That is always the first step in troubleshooting, If you don't have on, now would be a good time to get one! They are always good to have nearby when things go bonkers!

The power supply shouldn't have any effect on the SWR per se. What power supply is it? What antenna is it? It gives us a clearer picture of what you're using and what could go wrong.

Last edited:
I tried it in my truck and it works fine. The power supply is a pyramid 10a constant and 12a surge. The antenna is a siro m-400 starduster. I tested the power supply and it takes a couple minutes for it to hit 13.4 volts when it first comes on it only reads 9 volts I'm going to add a ground rod to the mast pipe. I called Bob's cb shop and they even said that if it doesn't get enough voltage that the radio will act funny.

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.