• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Top loaded whip vs. base loaded antenna

I always found CENTER-LOADED antennas reaching near 1/8 wave to Quarter wave length for 20 meters thru 6 meters work best...
View attachment 46563
My 2 cents.

PS: SCREW DRIVE THRU's:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I belong to several Radio forums and it is always interesting to see different peoples set ups and what is important to them because we are all different just like our radio systems are. In the winter when I have to park my Cobalt car in the garage because of snow my antenna will go down to a Tram 300 mag. mount which is sufficient, but in the summer when it is outside always I am running a Stryker 10 mag. mount which has perfect SWR top to bottom. Happy DXing !

Reactions: Slowmover
CB is the radio some others will have when their Jesus-phone ain’t working any more. It’ll be the majority of those who CAN communicate.

Do as you will. Same problem in answering questions about fuel economy (longest vehicle life). Changes need to be made to driver habits.

“Nice, so long as I’m not inconvenienced” .(confuses emotion for rationality).

Carry an extra long antenna you can swap.
I carry from 5’ to 9’.

But are you sure you’ll know when to swap? Won’t be on TV or AM radio or electronic billboard.

You’re at the right forum to explore it further.

Good luck.
In this country people exercise their freedom of speech all the time. Freedom of speech is very important God given Right. I find it more important to watch how I voice my opinion so as not to offend people and appear to be forcing my opinion off on anybody. I wouldn't want to lose a potential friend or great mind. LOL You know what part of the anatomy the opinion is like ! LOL

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
In this country people exercise their freedom of speech all the time. Freedom of speech is very important God given Right. I find it more important to watch how I voice my opinion so as not to offend people and appear to be forcing my opinion off on anybody. I wouldn't want to lose a potential friend or great mind. LOL You know what part of the anatomy the opinion is like ! LOL

Recommend you try voicing your opinion at work or online without restraint. Get fired, or get denied service.

The slippery slope got much worse of late.

• Physical antenna length = 45° (λ/8)
• L = 1.37 meters
• Design frequency = 27.205 MHz.
• Ground-system loss resistance = 15 Ω.

Quarter-wave full size
(reference values):
Rrad = 36 Ω
Rground = 15 Ω
Rant loss = 0 Ω
Zfeed = 51 Ω
Eff = 71%
Loss = 1.5 dB

Top-loaded vertical (capacitance
hat or horizontal T wire, λ/8 size):
Rrad = 18 Ω
Rground = 15 Ω
Zfeed = 33 Ω
Eff = 55%
Loss = 2.6 dB

Base loading, λ/8 size:
Rrad = 6.2 Ω
Rground = 15 Ω
Coil Q = 300
Rcoil loss = 1.3 Ω
Zfeed = 22.5 Ω
Eff = 28%
Loss = 5.6 dB

(λ/8 size = 4.5 feet, 1.37 meters
(physical length) @ 11 meters

Rrad divided by Zfeed = Eff. %

Last edited:
I run a Sirio 5000 on top of my SUV.

A few weeks ago I went to the drive through ATM machine at the bank. It's something I do frequently. I go through slow scraping the drive through roof with my antenna. Well this time the whip got caught up in the roof somehow and ripped the antenna and coax off the mag mount. I resoldered the coax back on and straightened the top section of the whip and all is well again. :D

I run a Sirio 5000 on top of my SUV.

A few weeks ago I went to the drive through ATM machine at the bank. It's something I do frequently. I go through slow scraping the drive through roof with my antenna. Well this time the whip got caught up in the roof somehow and ripped the antenna and coax off the mag mount. I resoldered the coax back on and straightened the top section of the whip and all is well again. :D

I was not so lucky......
I had 2 Francis 9' whips.
Had.
I must have gone under that carport thousands of times but one day it happened, a loud snap and the top 2 feet of the antenna smacked into the rear window.
Now I only have one, and I have a quick disconnect on it.
I smile at people in the line at the drive thru as I hop out, pull the whip off and stick it in the bed.

Jeff

To err is human that's why they put eraser on pencils ! I'm glad I can go in the bank now and not the drive-thru.LOL One bank I deal with only has a canopy so I make sure I take my motorcycle, or wait until I put the Tram 300 on.

That is worth some thought and investigation, I've heard of Breedlove before. Sirio also makes a mag mount that lays down with the twist of a thumb bolt and I have a friend in another forum that swears by it for DX talking.

The Sirio is even enough (below 1.5:1) across 40.

The BREEDLOVE website is big, but not gigantic. The pieces (puck mount) I chose were capable of handling a 9’ whip at 70-mph (XHD). Think of what you find as size/price related to strength.

Don’t hesitate to ask advice, but clear it here first.

Reactions: whiteastro
I am asking about the top loaded vs. base loaded because my Sirio base loaded is too high. I live in a rural area with low branches. I have to pay attention to those low branches in order for not hitting the whip.

My bad, it is not a Firestick, it is a 3 feet K40 top loaded antenna. It was a NOS from eBay.
4A82B9BA-0E00-4F42-AF78-28C7A5277D59.jpeg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated