• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tower help

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
was just given a 60ft. crank up tower, dont know who made it. It didnt come with a mast would a 20ft section of push up mast work with the guy wire rings or should i use a solid mast. plan on using a Imax 2000.

Use a 1 piece mast. The push-ups are pretty weak and it that height, it will catch alot of wind. I use 1 3/4" diameter with a 1/4" aluminum wall, but you can find much cheaper solutions like EMT that would work okay for that Imax.

SARGE,
Depending on where you live and your weather, I would do as suggested, use a fairly heavy duty mast. Actually, if this is going to be the only antenna on your tower, and since it will already be at 60 feet, I wouldn't bother using any more mast than it takes to mount the thing. Another 10-15 feet really isn't going to make much difference and just adds another failure point.
The mast sections you already have would work okay, in all likelyhood. Not sure how you would go about using the guying rings, though (where to connect the other end of the guys?). I do know that ~here~, you'd really be asking for trouble.
Good luck!
- 'Doc

Remember too with a pushup pole somehow fixed in the top of your tower, you would have to get a bit above the pushup in order to be able to get it to raise up very much. That might require you to be above the top of your tower just to get the pushup pushed out. That sounds dangerous to me. Just use a good sturdy mast pipe that fits nicely into the top section of the tower and push it up and down from within the tower itself as needed. You really don't want to be working to far outside or above the physical tower itself.

One other thought, SARGE, You may want to use some nterlocking-loop ceramic iinsulators at 106" down the top guy wires to add 1/4 wave radials as a counterpoise, which should lower your radiation angle.

If there were a way to add a couple of eyelet bolts near the top mounting U-bolt on the mounting plate I would think that might be the best location to anchor the radials to the antenna.

I've heard a local Extra class advocate 3/4 wave (~27') as superior to 1/4 wave but that would be a question to run by The Wolf.

You may have to retune the matching rings for 1:1 SWR after this addition.

I'm considering doing this when I erect the 5 section on the top of this 2 stiory instead of the radials which come with the omni, (unless it's own radial system is an integral part and necessary for optimum performance)

I've yet to try an IMAX 2000 with a full 1/4 wave radial system, but I have chatted with an IMAX user who did and he swears
it added around, "30% more range", as he put it.

- Just a thought. Good luck and please remember, Safety FIRST!!

Just want to thank everyone for the great info. Every time I read more on this forum I learn more and more. Again thanks to all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.