• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trailer Hitch Mount.???

Some people believe that their opinion is the only one

While that may be true it is also true that some people just like to post crap, call it fact, and ignore the truth just to see the responses they get. In some cases it is simply done for their own entertainment and usually involves making wild unsupported claims with no proof while putting down those who make sensible posts including proof.

While I do agree with HVMNJ that the efficiency is more than the 5% stated above that is where I draw the line. As you can see by " you guys aint got nothing on the kind of stuff I do on low band . I be going up to 40 and 80 meters soon to show these boys how it is done using less power than them , lol lol lol bump on this Star Gun". He just wants to post crap like that for his own enjoyment and to stir things up. Best not to feed the trolls any more.

Reactions: 1 person
Lets get back to the topic...
A Hitch mount Will work, just not as well as it would if there was some metal under the antenna. The link that W9 posted to K0BG`s web site is full of loads of good info.
HV posted to keep the antenna 2 feet away from the hatch or glass makes it worse, read through K0`s web site and it will explain why.
You would be better off bumper mounting than having it extended away from the vehicle at the lowest point of the car.
I have seen large HF antennas on a hitch mount used but that is a totally different animal and if you are only running a single band ( CB) you can get much better results getting the antenna up and having a proper ground plane under it.

I hesitate to even post this, but to give you an Idea of High voltage`s credentials just go to YouTube search and search for him, he is an example of someone that struggles to be a "RDX Key Clown"
Enough said about that topic.

If it is a Pick-up, search through the threads here and read what Marconi Posted about co-phasing 2 whips on a bumper, or maybe he will see this and chime in.
His work with that is interesting about this and the field strength results he was getting.
I have always been a firm believer that co phased whips mounted too close together is a no win, but I also have an open mind about new things radio and I think it would be worth some time to Pick Old Grandpaws Brain about this subject and see where it leads.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Lets get back to the topic...
A Hitch mount Will work, just not as well as it would if there was some metal under the antenna. The link that W9 posted to K0BG`s web site is full of loads of good info.
HV posted to keep the antenna 2 feet away from the hatch or glass makes it worse, read through K0`s web site and it will explain why.
You would be better off bumper mounting than having it extended away from the vehicle at the lowest point of the car.
I have seen large HF antennas on a hitch mount used but that is a totally different animal and if you are only running a single band ( CB) you can get much better results getting the antenna up and having a proper ground plane under it.
Jeff

Jeff that is exactly the point I was trying to make. Yes it will work but there are much better options.

I had briefly thought about a hitch mount for my HF antenna for my truck but thought it would look I was flipping off the cars behind me. :D Well that and the efficiency issue as well as it being in the way of dropping the tailgate and towing the trailer and the ground issues and................

I like carousing the parking lots at hamfests, especially Dayton. I've seen many hitch mounts. Many are elaborate and allow quick access to the trunk or gate.

None of them ever appealed to me. I like HF mobile, but never felt the need to be able to work every single band.

10 and 40 is the only HF bands that I care about now. I used to run 6 meters back in the day when many locals did as well. Local chew on 6 meters is dead, as well as the repeater that once was.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.