• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Transmit alignment 1 tone vs 2 tones???

Lkaskel

Aug 4, 2017
Good Day Everyone,
I was just looking through the TX alignment proceedure for a Robyn 520D and I noticed that it called for a 1000Hz tone. That was different than the proceedure for the President Washington and Cobra 138 which called for a 500Hz and 2400Hz. All 3 have the 858 chipset. Which is the best pratice and why?

Thanks as always!!!!

Single tones are most commonly used for adjusting things like AM modulation depth. Two tones are used to check the linearity of an SSB transmitter.

Mikes radio repair has a good video on it too, and he shows what happens when you mess up the final or driver bias. This is where a lot of splatter comes from.

Last edited:
I have an audio app on my phone that can produce multi-tone output. I was wondering the same thing as you brought up.
I found that a 3 tone signal, using the radios' microphone, produced the steadiest and highest output level of the radio. It uses 1.5khz, 1khz, and 500hz. RF output is significantly higher than a single 1khz tone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.