1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

TransWorld Antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Riverman71, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/brand/dx-engineering/part-type/hf-portable-stealth-antennas

These have been around a while and I've always wondered about them. They are described as vertical dipoles so am curious how they can work well positioned so close to the ground. Anyone tried one?

Lots of good reviews. https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6869

2. The DB

The DB Sr. Member

It is ok for a quick to set up/take down portable antenna, and I know some people who have them and use them for just that, but beyond that I wouldn't use it for anything else.

Can you make contacts with this antenna? Yes, in the same way you can load up any two random pieces of metal and make contacts. Does that mean the antenna is any good? Objectively, not really as this antenna is a heavily compromised antenna in the best of situations, modeling shows less than a 30% radiation efficiency on the 10 meters band, and it only gets worse as you move through the HF spectrum.

Is this a good antenna subjectively speaking? If you want to be able to go somewhere like the top of a large hill in the area, or the top of a large building, easily set up an antenna to make contacts, and have a few hundred dollars burning a hole in your pocket, then this antenna may be worth considering. I will caution you, however, that I don't think it will drastically (hell even noticeably) outperform a good mobile antenna at the same location. It all depends on your needs.

Would I buy one of these antennas? Not at the price they are charging for them. Honestly, for the upper HF spectrum, I could get a tripod, a small expendable fiberglass mast, a dipole mount and several pairs of hamstick antennas on different bands that will likely outperform this antenna (simply because of the height in question), and still have money left over.

The DB

3. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

Thank you. Was hoping you could give me an idea on their efficiency. Can always count on you for a straightforward useful answer.

The DB likes this.