• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TRC-465 need talkback. EDIT died but its back !!

WINKDOGG

President CFO & CPFO WorldwideDX Radio
Feb 21, 2011
New Jersey
Skip to edit 2 ;)

EDIT ...EDIT... Ok so I put a 100ohm resistor from ground to external speaker ground (and possibly PA speaker ground by accident ) NOW IVE GOT NO RECIEVE AND NO TX ????

POKED AT THE BOARD AND TWISTED THE CHASSIS AND ITS BACK TO NORMAL !!

HELP HELP HELP LOL Then we can talk about talkback maybe ??

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

EDIT 2 EDIT 2 Ok I just tightened the screws on the board and mic jack and she is alive again so now I just need the talkback again :whistle:

Hey guys I have googled my brains out trying to find a talkback mod for the trc-465 with no luck . I believe it shares the same board as the PC122 but I have not found a successful talkback mod for that either ??

Please in all of you're infinite wisdom somebody drop me a line with some details , it would be much appreciated !

I have had this little guy on the bench for years , its bone stock and unmolested and I want to leave it that way except for talkback . I get great audio reports even barefoot with a Astatic 575 but would like to swap out to a d104 but would like to monitor my sound . I have a Tug chicken choker with an echo and roger beep "noise toy" wired into the coil cord so that's an option as well but need to hear myself if possible .

Thanks Guys , Brian

Last edited:

the best I have found for this radio is using the relay talk back mod. it would be too hard to try to explain it to you . the best thing you could do is but the talk back mod you have to add to the radio. I see them ever so often for sale on the bay.

Reactions: WINKDOGG and Robb
the best I have found for this radio is using the relay talk back mod. it would be too hard to try to explain it to you . the best thing you could do is but the talk back mod you have to add to the radio. I see them ever so often for sale on the bay.

Thanks sonoma ! I remember those little boards now ! I needed one for one of my older President radios a McKininley mobile I think . I was reading something about soldering a wire to the audio tuning pots metal case to ext speaker ground but I love this little guy for usb I'm not gonna take chances lol If I have to get a module I will but I have seen these radios have AM only talkback with no module so I know its possible just need the right super tuner to find this thread !! haha

Thanks again Sonoma and thanks in advance guys for more input !

73's

I have seen radios where they put a resister off the audio wire at the audio pot or even the audio wire at the mic. you need a rsister in line with the wire. some put 10K ohm and on up to control how loud the talk back gets. I did that to a cherokee 1000 base radio years ago and just had to adjust the talkback with the size of resister I put on the wire.. forget just what size I used since that was in about 2001 . would have been around a 10k to 20k resister for that radio.

Reactions: WINKDOGG
TRC465 Talkback.jpg

Find the junction between R165 (10k) and D36. Ground it.
This will unmute IC5, the audio IC for the speaker.

Run a 100k, to up to 1 Meg resistor from the collector of Q25 to pin 1 of IC5,
the audio input pin. Lower resistance is louder.

To disable talkback, unground the R165/D36 junction. You can make it switchable.

This should work in all modes, SSB too.

When I was working at a CB shop (almost 20 years ago now), I did this to Rangers, HR2510's, Galaxy's and other such radios.

Correction, D38.
Here are the components involved, and traces to go from, to, and trace of the R165/D38 Anode to ground for talkbackTRC465 Talkback board layout.jpg
And, the Solder trace (flip) side
TRC465 Talkback board layout flip side.jpg

I used this for talkback when I had a PC122 (similar radio) I had about 25 or so years ago, set up with a Digital Voice Recorder (Watergate) with the input of the "Watergate" from the receive audio, and the output of the "Watergate" going to the mic input.

I had it set up to automatically key the radio when the playback button was pressed. The record function was set to trigger from the Squelch gate, through a momentary push button, so I could select what receive audio I wanted to record, so when the squelch would "open up", and I had the record button pressed, it would start recording at that point.

Last edited:
Correction, D38.
Here are the components involved, and traces to go from, to, and trace of the R165/D38 Anode to ground for talkbackView attachment 32671
And, the Solder trace (flip) side
View attachment 32672

Hey NC8N now your talking my DX friend !! As soon as I have a few mins I’ll pull her off the bench and see how it goes ! There is still a ton of these radios around and tons of people looking for the mod with no real answers . Let’s hope this goes as planned and I’ll make a video as I go along !

Thanks A Million, will post results with pics and vid ASAP !

Man I love this place lol

I used this for talkback when I had a PC122 (similar radio) I had about 25 or so years ago, set up with a Digital Voice Recorder (Watergate) with the input of the "Watergate" from the receive audio, and the output of the "Watergate" going to the mic input.

I had it set up to automatically key the radio when the playback button was pressed. The record function was set to trigger from the Squelch gate, through a momentary push button, so I could select what receive audio I wanted to record, so when the squelch would "open up", and I had the record button pressed, it would start recording at that point.

Reactions: NZ8N
Yet again the forums come through BIG TIME ! I know from my searching that nobody had the easy fix for talkback on this chassis . I was yet again amazed with the knowledge that's tucked away in these forums ! Please excuse my "breadboard" pics but I only had a little time on the bench so I went for it !~ Talkback on the TRC-465 is functioning in all modes !! Im still playing with the resistor value and a possible pot for variable talkback level but wanted to let you guys know it was a success and thank you for your help ! NZ8N You really came through with the beautiful diagrams and made this idiot proof for me , thanks so much ! Now we have an easy talkback setup for this chassis and Im sure lots of people cant wait to crack open these good little talkers to get the feature we have all been missing !

130.JPG 131.JPG 132.JPG 133.JPG 134.JPG 135.JPG 136.JPG

Thanks again , as always you guys never cease to amaze me !!

73's 4-2-ZERO Brian in NJ

Not sure if you saw NZ8N But you nailed it down perfect for me !! Your the best
thanks for the idiot proofing without making me feel like an idiot but you nailed the mod 100% !! I have 160k ohm in there with a squeal but im trying a pot and I already put a spst switch on the back ! Any advice on the variable would be great !

Again thx NZ8N I owe you one !

ps THE BLUE WIRES ARE THE MOD

4-2-ZERO

BRIAN NJ

I would try a 220k fixed resistor, just a little higher than your 160k. If it still squeals, try a 270k or a 330k.
If you are going for a variable talkback, try a 100k fixed resistor in series with a 500k pot, so the minimum resistance is 100k (maximum volume).

Reactions: WINKDOGG
I would try a 220k fixed resistor, just a little higher than your 160k. If it still squeals, try a 270k or a 330k.
If you are going for a variable talkback, try a 100k fixed resistor in series with a 500k pot, so the minimum resistance is 100k (maximum volume).
Unfortunately since we lost Radio shack (im a former district manager , say what you want I can take it lol ) I really don’t have anywhere to go for any small elictrical parts has to be online I’m down to some 1/4 watt mixed resistors and anything I can find in a radio chassis lol ! I can’t find anything near a 270k that’s what I was hoping for I have a bunch of parts radios . Where could I possibly find a high K resistor in a Cobra 29 or a uniden 68xl ! I checked a ton on the 29 board all 3-100k nothing higher :( there has to be something somewhere also prob have to order the 500k pot most of my parts potentiometers are 5k-50k any ideas on where to scavenge let me know please or I’ll order a “”erecatronics diwect” import mixed component pack on flea bay to get 100,000 resistors in a giant bag lol I just miss the shack for easy grabs :( but thanks again NZ8N I’ll be digging for parts ! Oh yeah and check out my new soldering and rework station ! Be here in 2 days gotta try it ! (Still keeping the Weller and RShack stations but got good reviews ‍♂️ I’ve been using the newest Bernsomatic Butane 5000 series its hot and fast but sucks gas

73’s and thanks a million NZ8N

Attachments

• E5289E65-AD2E-4E96-B9F8-9B9408E8A0B7.jpeg
    E5289E65-AD2E-4E96-B9F8-9B9408E8A0B7.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
Mouser? I use them alot, especially for SMD components.
Ebay too, and even Amazon sometimes. Depends on what I need, and when.

I have seen radios where they put a resister off the audio wire at the audio pot or even the audio wire at the mic. you need a rsister in line with the wire. some put 10K ohm and on up to control how loud the talk back gets. I did that to a cherokee 1000 base radio years ago and just had to adjust the talkback with the size of resister I put on the wire.. forget just what size I used since that was in about 2001 . would have been around a 10k to 20k resister for that radio.
Want to do just that to a Cherokee I added an echo board can you elaborate a little more? Sonoma

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated