• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tripod mount on roof plan

I don't think the mayonnaise thing works. I REALLY like the idiots that coax-seal the antenna, then stick the other end into a wet mayonnaise jar. Channel 19 at it's finest.

Guess water only seeps in the rain. Standing still, it wants nothing to do with the coax :)

Anywho.... Lost my train of thought. Back out to the garage, where the wife wants me :)

--Toll_Free

Holey Smokes!

... its probably a good thing I did this bonding thingie...

Finished the attachment of the Lightning arrestor this morning and trenched in the Coax to the shed. Then went to run the bond over to the house ground and when I took ahold of the copper to the ground rod to try and locate where it went into the ground so I could dig it down to it and attach my bond... it came right out of the ground my hand! And had apparently been disconnected for some time as the end of the line showed no signs of fresh breakage. It appears it broke lose a good while back. And I cannot be sure it was in the ground where the old ground rod is even. It may have moved and stuck itself in. Was not in more than a half inch best I can tell.

So fact is this house ground has been non existent for some time now. So now I have had to call the power company to get them to mark the service and have had to go buy a new 8' ground rod and some clamps so I can drive a new rod for the house and to bond this Antenna ground rod too. I went and got the stuff to do it at lunch time and put in the call to the Power company to mark it. So now I wait.

I doubt I can find the old one. I have no idea exactly where it was. Probably shouldn't trust it to be in good condition anyway. So I think the easiest thing to do is to just drive a new one. Not that this is easy in itself. But I got a day or two before they mark it to see if I cannot borrow a hammer drill driver. If not... then its the old fashioned way... sledge hammer and lader and skint up hands.

After doing some reading on Grounds I recall a couple of times reading what sounded rediculous (at the time) to check your ground rod connections every year. And now I am sort of a believer. Although this is an old ground... How many people EVER go and dig the end of thier ground rod out and check everything? Probably should every so often I guess.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.