• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trucker 2000, 62" whip, or??????

maddog355

Sep 22, 2011
I am about to put a CB in the wifes S10, But have no idea what antenna to use. I use a 102" whip on my fullsize and have for 20 years so that is basicly my answer for everything. However it is not really practical in her case as she often goes to sonic or whatever for lunch and wants something that don't stand out too bad. The antenna will be mounted at the front driverside of the bed, So I was thinking a trucker 2000 on a 18" shaft or the 62" whip radioshack sells. Would co-phased truckers be worth the cost? Any suggestions would be helpful as I am lost and grabbing at straws.

The radio will be a 29LTD possably peaked or a little 100 watt box at most so big power is not a concern.

I am about to put a CB in the wifes S10, But have no idea what antenna to use. I use a 102" whip on my fullsize and have for 20 years so that is basicly my answer for everything. However it is not really practical in her case as she often goes to sonic or whatever for lunch and wants something that don't stand out too bad. The antenna will be mounted at the front driverside of the bed, So I was thinking a trucker 2000 on a 18" shaft or the 62" whip radioshack sells. Would co-phased truckers be worth the cost? Any suggestions would be helpful as I am lost and grabbing at straws.

The radio will be a 29LTD possably peaked or a little 100 watt box at most so big power is not a concern.

It's my understanding co-phasing does nothing unless you can get the antennae 1/4 wavelength apart. On an S10, this would not be possible.

Where you're moutning is also going to pose a SWR/reflect issue with the cab corner, UNLESS you can figure a way to get the coil up above the top of the cab. I have a 10K mounted in exactly the same spot on my truck, and I had refelct issues until I changed to a longer shaft and got the coil on up. After that, it tuned nearly flat at a 1.2 vs the 1.6.

If I were you, I'd plop a Wilson 1000 on the cab and be done.

n4jnw is correct, you'll likely do much better with an antenna mounted on the roof of the cab than off of the bedrail behind the cab. That location can be a issue for reflect as well as mounting on the bed often doesn't give a very good ground and additional grounding is needed.

As mentioned you're better off with something that has a longer shaft and is a mid load or top load antenna to try to get the signal out over the cab. You also may be a bit direction by mounting on one side.

I thought about the 1000, Just didn't really want a mag mount. But no way am I drilling a hole in the cab. So that may be my only option. I was wanting to see if there might be a diffrent option.

Sure you can do any of the things you stated, but the only one that has a chance of working would be the 9' steel whip. I would go with a Wilson 1000 mag mount, they are low key and work great.....shouldn't whack anything at Sonic either.

wilson 1000 mag mount gets my vote.
the wilson trucker antennas dont seem to have very long shafts 18 inch
is the longest ive seen by them. youi could take a tape measure and see
how much of a shaft it would take to clear the roof. but even if it does clear
the roof theres no guareente how good your swr will be and probaly will be
somewhat directional

Sure you can do any of the things you stated, but the only one that has a chance of working would be the 9' steel whip. I would go with a Wilson 1000 mag mount, they are low key and work great.....shouldn't whack anything at Sonic either.

The Sonis is whack but I agree on the 1k

Good choice.

Really, I promise you won't be disapponted with the 1000. They're great antennas, and the awesome thing about a magnetic mount is you can remove it to prevent theft. I've owned 3 of them, sold all three, because I wanted a 10K. Out of the three I had, SWR tuned flat on each.

A Wilson 1000 on top will blow a Wilson trucker mounted behind the cab out of the water. Trust me, I've been in the exact same shoes as you are.

64" whip???

Anyone ever run the 64" whip from radio shack? I understand the 1000 on the roof is better than the trucker on the bedside, But what about the 64? Even mounted on the bedside it would have atleast 46" above the cab.

Anyone ever run the 64" whip from radio shack? I understand the 1000 on the roof is better than the trucker on the bedside, But what about the 64? Even mounted on the bedside it would have atleast 46" above the cab.

The forum members have made their ruling, you will buy a Wilson 1000.

To a woman, it's not about performance, but how it looks or is it fashionable?...talking about the radio and antenna here now eh.

If you mount the 64 or any other bottom loaded antenna that low it will likely have difficulty getting out, likely seen in high swr.

If you have the 64 give it a try maybe it will work for you and your requirements. If performance suffers then mount it up on the cab and try that, it should improve it.

Won't know for sure until you experiment a little and see for sure.

The wilson 1k and 5k are very good performing antennas if installed properly as recommended.

Best of luck.

Thanks Gamegetter, I keep forgetting it is still basicly a bottom loaded antenna.

As for her radio, It will eather be my old 29 ltd or a old uniden pro510 due to room in the S15 cab.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?