• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trucker radios.

Shadowman2

Nov 24, 2005
On a recent trip to and from Michigan,I noticed several big rigs with antennas other than CB antennas. I suspect they may have been 2 meter antennas. How many Truckers have radios other than CB in their trucks and what is the primary use?

The 'Smokey and the Bandit' movie did little justice to truckers. Many of them are Hams too. The length of an antenna mounted on a vehicle is often a clue to what is inside.

One antenna can be for a scanner - listening for them 'smokey the baars'.

Another could be for a 2m or 440mhz radio; that only requires a tech license.

Another antenna can be for XM radio; they like to listen to cool tunes too.

They also get internet access and for TV.

Many of them have a GPS dome on the top.

Lastly, some may have a company proprietary radio.

And probably more - too . . .

re

most truckers have moved up to cell phones
it might be a cell antenna.without seeing it cant say for shure

On a recent trip to and from Michigan,I noticed several big rigs with antennas other than CB antennas. I suspect they may have been 2 meter antennas. How many Truckers have radios other than CB in their trucks and what is the primary use?

most likely what you're seeing are satellite radio antennas and or satellite tv.

The antenna in question was a small "whip", approximately 18"-24" long. It was mounted on the mirror about 8" from the CB antenna. After reading the replies, I'm guessing a scanner antenna.

Thanks for the replies.

The antenna in question was a small "whip", approximately 18"-24" long. It was mounted on the mirror about 8" from the CB antenna. After reading the replies, I'm guessing a scanner antenna.

Thanks for the replies.

That also fit the measurements for 2 meter ham using a 1/4 wave ant.

Don't forget the Mickey Mouse hats

These days ( more then ever ) truckers have all sorts of radio gear..

often their equipment will trump other peoples mobiles ( they already have a crazy amount of money into simply the cost of their trucks..

Why would they not also be sure to get the best radio gear out there
( i sure would )

I think his question was " what other radios do you truckers use besides CBs?". And not what a particular antenna was.

I have talked to many truckers (short and long haul) on 2m repeaters (but mostly simplex) and also on HF. You would be surprised how many do have their ham tickets.. i spend a lot of time on the road and hear them often on the ham bands. I talked w a guy tailing me from NYC to NH on 2m simplex.

As far as their antennas, there are also GPS antennas for their laptops and GPS antennas so their company can track their locations. Often seen are satellite antennas for their XM radios and i have even seen quick release mounts for satellite dishes for when they are parked and can watch tv.

I have talked to many truckers (short and long haul) on 2m repeaters (but mostly simplex) and also on HF. You would be surprised how many do have their ham tickets.. i spend a lot of time on the road and hear them often on the ham bands.

Same here.. I hear them regularly on the local repeaters.

I've talked to lots of truckers on 2 meters. I've also talked to quite a few on HF. There was a group of truckers I stumbled across on 40 meters a few years back that had a regular QSO schedule set up in the evening.

All interestng information. One of the reasons I asked (besides seeing more than just a CB antenna) is that I got hooked on "Ice Road Truckers" and have seen what appeared to be 2 meter radios in addition to standard CB. Again, thanks for the replies.

There are at least a few truckers out there with HF amateur gear as well. I've had a couple QSOs with truckers on 40 meters before. It's probably not as prevalent due to the complexities of setting up a good antenna system, but they are out there.

-Bill

Up here they call them "big" radios and they run modified 2 meter rigs mostly on simplex. They are just above 2m with the "Business Band" and dangerously close to the cop freqs.(150-160 mhz) This is their new C.B. as the cops usually aren't aware, or have capabilities to these freqs. And FYI most do not have a ham ticket!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.