• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

trunk mount

yes,,, what do you need to know? i have used in the past,, a/s big mama turner signalkickers have even mounted 102 inch whip on trunk mounts,,,, i have tried k 40s and all kinds of fiberglass whips,,,,they all do what you want them to do, but with varying degrees of preformance,,,,, the best antenna to have on a trunk mount situation is something center or top loaded.... if you go to roof bottom will work better but on trunk it has always been better center or top loaded,,,once on a pontiac i had a few years ago i run a wilson 2000 trucker that out did a wilson 5000 both mounted on trunk lid,,,,

Last edited:
Reactions: hotrod
yes,,, what do you need to know? i have used in the past,, a/s big mama turner signalkickers have even mounted 102 inch whip on trunk mounts,,,, i have tried k 40s and all kinds of fiberglass whips,,,,they all do what you want them to do, but with varying degrees of preformance,,,,, the best antenna to have on a trunk mount situation is something center or top loaded.... if you go to roof bottom will work better but on trunk it has always been better center or top loaded,,,once on a pontiac i had a few years ago i run a wilson 2000 trucker that out did a wilson 5000 both mounted on trunk lid,,,,
I was wondering about the bottom load vs center/top on the roof top. I've been experimenting with a bottom load roof mount Wilson, 102+spring and a 7foot firestick on the roof of my 4Runner. It seem like the bottom load works better on the roof. Is this normal? And if so why?

derek,, it has a lot to do with the roof line,,, when the coil is bottom and on roof it is very efficient for what it is,,, on trunk mounts the coil centered or top is more efficient than a base coil,,,the same goes for putting a antenna on bed of truck,,, a base load not very good on bed but a center/top load will be more efficative,,,,,,

derek,, it has a lot to do with the roof line,,, when the coil is bottom and on roof it is very efficient for what it is,,, on trunk mounts the coil centered or top is more efficient than a base coil,,,the same goes for putting a antenna on bed of truck,,, a base load not very good on bed but a center/top load will be more efficative,,,,,,

Thanks midnight special. I guess I'll keep the Wilson on the roof. I thought that the 7ft firestick would perform better on the roof, but not in this case. The swr is about the same on both antenna, but I noticed a power output difference with the firestick. The Wilson had a output of 700w on the meter and the firestick shows less around 500. The contact station 40 miles or so said the Wilson was better. I know the power difference isn't that much but shouldn't the fire stick perform better. I guess all mobiles are different just as all antennas are different a may work with B and sometimes b may work with a.

Reactions: midnight special
most firestick type antennas is a continous coil type antenna not as effective as whip or coil and whip antenna,, now there are some fiberglass whips that are not continuos coil design but actually a center or top loaded antenna but not many in modern times,,,you could tell because there would be a bulge in the middle or the top end of antenna..

thanks guys.. i was questioned about them from a local starting out. i got my own opinions on how they,d work but no actual real world experience.he wants it on the trunk so he can get into his garage without removing antenna.he also wanted a mag mount but i told him i believe a trunk mount will work a tiny bit better...jmho.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.