• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS-430

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
Our local club is more VHF oriented rather than HF. There's been a Kenwood TS-430 and tuner around the place for quite a number of years and it seems no one lately has even plugged the thing in. I was asked to 'check it out' for field day so brought it home and did. Took about 30 seconds. It has problems.
After thinking about it, I can't remember a '430 being listed for sale lately. Are they that 'unwanted', or do people just want to hang on to them? I know they aren't as 'computer' controlled as the later radios, and from what I remember about them, seem to be fairly easy to find parts for (no SMT stuff to speak of). Also haven't taken the cover off of it so any problem may be very obvious, sort of.
Anyone with any 'recent' experience with a TS-430?
- 'Doc

(No, it's not for sale or trade, I'm just curious.) Oh, the tuner worked fine once I figured out how to calibrate the @#$ thing.

Sonwatcher,
The 'G3' has an interesting thing on the TS-430. Some of it isn't exactly correct as far as the USA version of the radio goes. That 'last digit' instability just isn't true. Neither is the 'simple' operating out of band modification. There's quite a bit more to that modification if you do it right, not just unplugging one connection. Who knows about the EU or UK versions though. Thanks for the information.
- 'Doc

That in my opinion is one of Kenwoods most rock solid radios I have had 2 my last one was mint but I sold it to a real good friend that was entering the HF radio world and It is one of the easiest to run so I knew it would be perfect for him (HE ABSOLUTELY LOVES IT) Plus I was looking for something new to play with. They are pretty old radios but that and the 440s are smokin radios. Parts are getting a little hard to come by without buying a whole parts rig. If you cant find what parts you need PM me what your looking for and Ill try to help.

W5LZ said:
...seem to be fairly easy to find parts...

Unfortunately, that is quickly becoming an issue. Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu are no longer making proprietary parts for the rigs of that vintage, i.e. optical encoders in Yaesu's case. AES' service dept. told me my FT-757GX is only worth $150.00 for that very reason. They won't even work on 'em.

They want you to buy NEW radio$$, not be able to repair the old ones.

I had a FT-757 It also was nice with that built in Preamp they figure its worth what???? $150.00!!!???? Thats funny considering what they ask for them in there used and demo lists but maybe they are not even eccepting them on trades either. Thats why my FT-767 went out to Justins shop AES said it wasnt worth fixing and it was gonna cost $800.00 minamum to repair the PA section maybe that was there way of hinting that they dont service these older rigs anymore. They conned my buddy who originally bought the rig from them new 16 years ago that it wasnt worth fixing and he needs a brand new FT-840 and MD-100 desk mic because his MD-1 would not work on that 840. Needless to say I got his Yaesu mics and when I got home after arguing with him that the MD-1 would indeed work on that 840 and him saying NO IT WONT THEY (AES) SAID IT WILL NOT WORK!!! I plugged it in and whaaaaaahhhh Laaaaaaaahhhhhh I saif hey Ted how do I saound he said great I then thanked him for that Plug and play MD-1 for my Yaesu FT-840 :LOL: :LOL: ... Anyways thaere are people that will fix those and if you sell that PM me please I wouldnt mind another one to mess with ;)

Kenwood forum on Yahoo

Check out the Kenwood Forum on Yahoo groups.
The 440/430 forum has tons of repair info and tips.
The moderator knows a bunch about them .

Got the repair info on my 440 and fixed a major issue fairly simply and now have a great base!

Roger

REPAIRS

If you believe everything AES says..don't.
They said they would fix a radio of mine sent it to them, they couldn't sent it off to another repair place<long story>, without my permission, it got fixed after they held the radio for 6 weeks at their shop and then sent it off, when the radio was fixed they sent it back to me and I got billed from the repair shop and the AES for handling and shipping..what a rip off..
no I didn't pay them <mentioned legal recourse>, bill was cancelled, just paid the repair shop., it wasn't just me two other fellows around here, same story.

Anyhow as Roger mentioned, a good place to look and get info.

DOCTOR :shock:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.